Split above-below water shots -keeping drops off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to start trying to do thse for the first time.
Got a Tokina lens and the 8 inch Ikelite Acrylic dome.
Read what I could find on the net about technique.
Everyone warns about drops on the above water part of the dome.

Any great suggestions about how to prevent it. One site recommended dishwater soap

Thanks!!

Rain-X is not recommended for Ikelite Acrylic ports to my knowledge (maybe email them directly.)

I've tried the baby Shampoo route but good old spit seems to work best......

David Haas
www.haasimage.com

Rain-X is not recommended for Ikelite Acrylic ports to my knowledge (maybe email them directly.)

I've tried the baby Shampoo route but good old spit seems to work best......

David Haas
www.haasimage.com

Are you sure that is a product for acrylic helmet visors. Maybe Ikelite domes have some form of coating?

Spit works wonders though I agree

There is a long thread on this on wetpixel
For plastic the recommended product is rainX
Actually it's not a good idea. RainX etches plastic to function - it causes the port to cloud over time. A rep from Rain-X once posted that online somewhere - I picked it up and posted it in a thread here a few years ago. It does work fine for glass ports.

In the same thread fdog - posted an extensive summary of the chemistry behind it - and other options. Here's a link: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/445364-using-rain-x-housing-lens.html#post6626294

So..............spit.............spread around.........dunk in the water then pull up for the picture?

Pledge works, but you have to renew it frequently.

I've seen professional camera guy (bbc no less) using a raw potato .. They cut the raw potato and then wipe the potato across the dome. It's old school but I tried it and it seemed to work

Spit (yes lots of it), wiping a potato over it (yep, it does work!) or the easiest a tiny bit of shower gel or shampoo applied as soon as possible before taking the shot helps.

Then its technique, bring the dome up and you'll see theres a golden period of a second or two before droplets start to form and run - thats when you take your shot.

Using multiple shot helps as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom