Could you please give me some advice on how to make this photo better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Cwalina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been doing a lot of reading, diving, and trial and error and think I am about 1/2 their when it comes to become a very good underwater photographer. This photo I think is the best one I have taken so far. It was taken at the great barrier reef on the Norman reef. I used a gopro hero3 black wide angle photo 12mp. In terms of post correction and framing how could I approve a shot like this? Would appreciate any advise. Thanks
G0121680.jpg

What is the image file format? And what do you have for Post?

I do everything I ever need with Lightroom.

Immediately just for image itself (not composition or anything, just the mechanics) is that you need to adjust the White Balance and tint, its too purple. Also it looks like that green/yellow on the coral is on the verge of being blown out.

As for framing, I'd crop into the top middle third and work on that (As there is not much on the left side of the image), but then you'd probably be left to a 3-5MP size image.

BRad

Best dive photo tip I have is to shoot in RAW and take a picture of white slate at depth so you can use that for color correction.

This particular photo needs more light. Not something that can be fixed well in post processing.

hi Paul

thanks for posting the photo. I would have more of the water in the photo, and less of the reef, especially the yellow coral on the right. Then I'd have a diver in the photo, with water completely surrounding his / her body. That would improve the photo tremendously. Good luck! - Scott

thanks for all the advise. I appreciate it. I am currently looking into purchasing a used underwaterhousing/camera set up so I can shoot in raw.

White balance. Screw raw, if you had manually white balanced on a remotely decent camera (like a $150 ELPH) your greens wouldn't be so awful and you wouldn't need to fix anything in post.

You've got plenty of light.

: )

Some of it appears oversaturated. See how the tops of the small corals along the right side are burned out and almost fluorescent. I don't think that can be fixed. It's this "pink" area and the area below it.

Capture.JPG

You might get some of the yellow out if you tweaked the Hue/Saturation or Color Channels in Photoshop.

White balance. Screw raw, if you had manually white balanced on a remotely decent camera (like a $150 ELPH) your greens wouldn't be so awful and you wouldn't need to fix anything in post.
Except that manual white balance is a continuous process, meaning you have to re-do it every time lighting conditions change and/or your depth changes. Plus, not all white balances are created equal... if your camera's MWB only takes blue and red (colour temperature) into account but not green, then you may end up with some pretty green pictures...

Except that manual white balance is a continuous process, meaning you have to re-do it every time lighting conditions change and/or your depth changes. Plus, not all white balances are created equal... if your camera's MWB only takes blue and red (colour temperature) into account but not green, then you may end up with some pretty green pictures...

Of course you have to re-balance it. But that's okay.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/peternbiddle/sets/72157635121073299/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom