Home Made Fibre Optic Snoots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foxtrot16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just made some fibre optic snoots for my Sea & Sea YS110A strobes and Olympus OMD EM-5.

Made them out of plumbing parts with a solid core fibre optic cable in 1/2 inch Loc-line. Have dry tested them and they work well hopefully will get a chance to wet test them before I head of to Bali next Sat.

Karl

Snoot+Part+B++-+01.jpg Snoot+Part+B++-+02.jpg

Didn't get much of a chance to try the snoot out in Tulamben last week due to strong currents but I did get one attempt in and here are a couple of images.

Karl

Tulamben+-+05.jpg Tulamben+-+04.jpg

Wow that is pretty ingenious. I like it. The lockline and optic fibre really lets you position the light easily. If I ever get the time (unlikely!!) I'd love to try build something similar.

Thanks - haven't had a chance to try them out properly as I had knee surgery three weeks ago but I am hoping to be back in the water next weekend and will give them a proper workout then.

Karl

I made a second version of the snoots - will put up some photos later (when I get around to taking them :wink:) but here are a few images taken with the newer version which is much easier to aim :D

2013-12-07+Grain+Terminal+-+06.jpg 2013-12-07+Grain+Terminal+-+04.jpg 2013-12-07+Grain+Terminal+-+07.jpg

Karl

Looks as though you need a modeling/focusing light. Otherwise that's a wonderful set up.

The Sea & Sea YS110A have focus lights in them plus I have to Fanatsea focus lights mounted on top of the cradle :D

Karl

That is pretty fine. Liked it a lot! :blinking:

Will you please post a photo of your 2nd snoot? :D I want to build one before my trip in March! Shooting with the Sea & Sea YS-01 that has a focus light. Hoping that makes aiming a bit easier!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom