DUAL Focus ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard it called over-under....make with a wide angle lens and dome.

James has it right, most refer to them as over-unders. Typically you use a very wide angle or fisheye lens and a large dome, 8". I have had some luck using a 4" dome on a 4/3 camera but you have to have glass flat water and be very, very stable. The trick is getting the exposure correct as the surface section is typically much brighter than the under water part. You can compensate by hanging your strobes down to light the underwater subject. I put the camera in Spot Focus and move it "underwater" as that is typically the part I want in focus. Shooting high f/stops helps.

OMD Lumix 8mm 4" Dome

RX100, Inon H100&Dome

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17mm lens, 9.25" dome. Wrasse was touching the dome.

Great point about flat water! I tried to do this in Bonaire with my Rx100, UWL-H100 & Dome II, but had very little luck (ok none worth keeping).

No you do not have to customize the lens. Some people do use a "split filter", were 1/2 is shaded and 1/2 is clear. But the above photos were taken with a standard lens and dome. You must understand how to set exposures, so knowing how to shoot in Manual is recommended.

The 10-17mm is great for over-unders. I tend to shoot them on the vertical. I use very long strobe arms so my strobes hang underwater and can illuminate my underwater subject. Again you are trying to get exposure correct for the Dry part. So it takes me several shots adjusting settings and strobe power before I am ready to get the image I hope to keep.

Not a great shot, but here I tried to get the exposure right for the air half. It was easier since it was a shaded area. I had two YS-D1 strobes hanging off about 22" long strobe arms to light the cardinal fish. I probably took 6-7 shots before getting the exposure to this point.

This was taken with an S95 in a Recsea housing with an Inon UFL165AD fish eye wet lens. Pity about the streak of water across the lens!

46 Lunch break.jpg

Back
Top Bottom