1st timer help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven007374

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am planning on taking the plunge into underwater photography to show everyone the cool things we divers get to see. but i have no idea where to start on what camera i should buy. i would like a camera that takes nice clear pictures and decant color clarity as well. im wanting to spend around $500 for it, but that is negotiable. it doesnt have to be a dedicated underwater camera, but thats what i would mainly be using it for. i do not dive past 90ft, and i usually dive in a lake or quarry. i do plan on taking a few pictures there. however, i do go on dive vacations to cozumel, bonaire, ect... once a year, and this is where i would use the camera the most. i have been looking at the sealife DC1400, the gopro hero 3+ black edition, and the nikon coolpix l28 with ikelite 6280.26 underwater housing. but again i have no idea what camera would be better or if there is another option i have not found that would best suite my needs. any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

1st of all, people will tell you to get more dives under your belt before taking a camera.
Now that that is out of the way, I would look for a used Canon S95 or S100 with the canon underwater housing. This should fit your budget nicely and will give you access to full controls as well as the ability to shoot RAW. Learn about shooting raw and do it then managing the color balance of your underwater images will be much easier.

Eventually you can add lights to your rig but don't worry about it right now.

My biggest tip is to get a camera that shoots raw. Go read about raw. It seems complicated at first, but shooting raw and then using a program like lightroom can really help to bring out a lot of detail in those murky quarries and it can help you color correct after the fact without messing with filters etc.

Additionally both the cameras I listed will shoot HD video so you can also play with that.

The Canons are great cameras, I have one and love it. But while the Sealife 1400 does not shoot in RAW, it is also a great introduction underwater camera. I also have one of these too. The Sealife 1400 is much easier to use than the Canon, but with some practice both work well. The Sealife can and should be purchase with one or two digital flash units...but this will put you over your initial budget. I use an old Sealife flash on my Canon, but mainly use the white balance instead of a flash when light permits.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

~Oldbear~

It really depends on what you are satisfied with. However, underwater camera systems usually start at something like $1500 for an advanced point and shoot, strobes and housing.

I would advise you to look at some of the specialized retail stores in underwater photography. They have web sites with recommended systems and pricing as well as educational articles. I would recommend Reef Photo and Video, Backscatter, and Blue Water Photo. I live in Fl so I do business with Reef Photo.

You our want to have a camera that shoots raw. The reason for this is a raw file allows you to set white balance in post processing. White balance changes constantly underwater.

Also if you want to see the full color spectrum, you have to have a good strobe and preferably two. The red light is absorbed in the first 15' of the water column. So if you want reds in your photos, you need a strobe.

Also many of the neatest things you see are small. That means you want macro capabilities.
If you want good photos of your dive buddies, you need wide angle capabilities.
If you want photos of fast moving fish like those pesky little damsels, you need a very fast focus. I was not able to do that until I got a DSLR with a 105 macro lens.
As you might realize, the hobby can suck you in. Good luck.

The question is what type of photography you like to do. I like to swim around and take a few pictures of large and small stuff. I will take a little time to try to get a better shot but not a lot. I do not find worrying about manual settings fun or enjoyable or rewarding. So I went with the sealife. (Went from a 500 to a 1200). Been happy with it. It is still a better camera than I am photographer.

On the other hand if you like photography and like the manual control aspect on land,you will like it in water.

Just remember everything is more complicated under water.

PS: If you get a sealife DO NOT TRUST THEIR STRAP. Get a big heavy duty replacement. My first 1200 should be half way to Africa by now.

Have a similar question. I'm a tech tard and don't enjoy carrying a lot of stuff underwater with me. I want a camera/video that is user friendly and not bulky with attachments, etc. I don't know where to start. In the past ( a long time ago) I had housing for a Cool Pix camera. It worked well before it leaked. Do you have any suggestion of what I should consider and eliminate today? My budget is approx. $350-$400. I do want to be able to look thru the view finder to determine what I'm shooting. I understand the go pro's don't offer this.
Thank you-

I started with an Olympus FE-360 in an Olympus PT-044 waterproof case. This was ok but it was only when I added an external strobe and did a underwater photography course did I get anything half decent. Be warned you will get frustrated by the cheaper end cameras. I have now moved onto the Olympus Pen 5 with duel strobes etc etc. cost a fortune but I am in the fortunate position of diving here in the Cayman Islands two or three times a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would suggest to explore some retail advertising stores online that are specialized in the fields of underwater photography. The idea of visiting some websites and educational articles also sounds enough. However, some individuals also recommend the options of Reef videos and photos. They also seems fine. :)

I got a used Canon powershot G15 from a friend for $190. she just bought a DSLR and didnt need her point and shoot anymore. will this be a decent camera for underwater shots? she is going to teach me how to use the RAW+Jpeg feature of the camera and how to filter the pictures through a computer program she has. and i was also wondering what underwater housing should i use. i saw the one canon makes on sale for $290. i figured the one from the manufacturer of the camera would be the way to go, but if there is a better one out there please let me know.

I got a used Canon powershot G15 from a friend for $190. she just bought a DSLR and didnt need her point and shoot anymore. will this be a decent camera for underwater shots? she is going to teach me how to use the RAW+Jpeg feature of the camera and how to filter the pictures through a computer program she has. and i was also wondering what underwater housing should i use. i saw the one canon makes on sale for $290. i figured the one from the manufacturer of the camera would be the way to go, but if there is a better one out there please let me know.

That is great camera to start off with. I started off with the G12 before moving up to a DSLR. You will probably start off in Av mode (Apperature Priority), because you will have TTL capable (Manual mode does not have TTL. TTL is for the strobes once you get one or two.) The stock Canon case is a good little case, but you will not have access to the front and rear wheels directly, it a combination of buttons. The best underwater case on the market is from Nauticam, but it's expensive, and you will have access to all of the button, and wheels.

The case options you have are: (I put these in order based on price; but IMO, I will recommend them in the reverse order.)

Canon
Fantasea
Ikelite
Recsea
Nauticam

This will give you an idea of price for each one.
Backscatter :: Underwater Photo :: Housings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom