Wet lenses - Does the quality of water matters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pallse

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Canon S100 on Patima hosuing with wide angle lens Uwl-04 and D2000 strobe.

I've tried to find an answer but failed. The question is, does the quality of sea water trapped matters in sharpness/blur images when you use wet lenses?

When I get in the water I unscrew the lens to let water fill everything and then I screw it again. But sometimes I've noticed that there are some tiny bubbles sitting on the "inside wet closed area" so I have to unscrew, clean and screw again. Is it possible that the same happens when the visibility of the water is poor? I mean not with bubbles but with the billions of floating stuff.

Do you spit the lens and housing glass before you screw them or its doesnt play any role?

I have a flip up wet diopter on my DSLR which I use on my macro lenses. Obviously, if you get some large particles in the water between the port and wet lens, you will have some problems. Also if the visibility is just terrible, that might affect things. If visibility is that bad you are probably out of luck anyway. I have never seen any issues in any of my shots. I typically do a ranging shot without the diopter to check the exposure. Than I take a photo or more with the diopter. I think I would have noticed major issues.

Back
Top Bottom