Buy a 2nd strobe or a wide angle wetlens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dimac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm using an oly XZ1 with a single Inon S2000, I usually pair it with my Subsee +10 and/or Inon 165. I'd like to get both but my wallet dictates otherwise.:no::shakehead:

What would you do? grab a z240 or a wide angle lens?

Thanks

a lot depends on what you want to shoot. If you need/want more wide angle stuff then get the lens, but shooting wide angle with a single s2000 will be interesting. If you are more into macro/fish portraits then a second strobe will be a big improvement. Here's a suggestion, flip a coin. Not to make the decision but when the coin is in the air you will know which way you want it to land.
Bill

Thats my go to decision making technique! :D I only shoot macro during my weekend dives in Anilao, Im considering the wide angle only because I'll be staying for a week in Tubbataha. Maybe i'll just get the strobe and find a kind hearted person to lend me a lens for the trip.

Thanks Bill!

Personally I would go with the lens.
Well actually this is exactly what I have just recently done. :wink:
I have a single Inon D2000 which is essentially the same as your S2000 and I decided to go with the Inon WA with the dome.
Here are two pics I took with the Inon wide angle lens + additional dome and only my one strobe. Yes two strobes would be better BUT at least I'm taking WA shots that you would never be able to get with the camera alone. AND for macro you really can get away with just one strobe.

I'm sure you will LOVE the WA lens and the photo options it opens up for you ESPECIALLY at Tabbatha. The additional strobe can come later AND I'd bet people would be more willing to lend a strobe than an expensive glass lens.
DSC01481.jpgDSC01679.jpg

With two diopters and a single strobe a second strobe will only allow to take shots differently but not expand on the shots you want to take
So I would say get yourself a wide angle lens a flat one as a starter and then consider a dome and replacing the strobes with two more powerful ones

I would definitely go with a WA. A second strobe is a luxury, and nice-to-have for macro and wide shots, but WA creates a whole new world inside your camera and the options are limitless.
If you want to imitate a second strobe for macro, use a DIY reflector (white plastic will do) and place it on the opposite side of your subject with a second arm on your tray.

Go for the WA! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom