Close-up lens: use and choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maurillo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,
I'm seriously considering to upgrade my set (Panasonic ZT10 with Intova ISS2000) and go for a close-up wet lens. Mind it, I'm not planning super-macro, but I do like closeup-to-macro. I just want to make my life easier in approaching some animals. So, questions, first about better understanding how these lenses work:

- I understand magnification is achieved by zooming in/out with the camera, but: is there only a MAXIMUM distance to the subject, or only ONE distance where the lens can really focus? I don't want to experience underwater the old macro approach of moving the camera, to achieve focus...!

I'm definitely considering to choose the M67 format, which offers a decent spectrum of options, in terms of lenses and even adapters for my camera (but I'd better hurry up...). My most immediate choice would be the Inon UCL-165 M67 lens (a +6). However, reading Martin Edge's book The Underwater Photographer I discover that "if a wet lens' refracting surfaces are in contact with water, approximately two-thirds of its power will be lost underwater". That implies the above lens would become a +4...! :shocked2: The author continues then recommending lenses with the refracting surfaces sealed in contact with air, e.g. SubSee's +10 dioptre. Such power would however require a VERY close distance to the subject, which is probably not what I want.

Therefore, more questions:

- did I understand correctly that the Inon above would loose power from +6 to +4?
- are there other lenses around which are sealed in air? I'm aiming at a 5-6. Weird this thing is not mentioned anywhere: or are they ALL sealed in air???
- any other producer name/advice is much appreciated!!

Cheers

Maurizio

Subsee also has a +5...
and they are of really good quality.
(I have got both +5. +10)

Tak Imla,
yep, I see that. The problem with Subsee is, I have no evidence they'd go with my camera, in spite of the 67 mm standard thread...

:shocked2: I had NO IDEA of this company/guy! I just know of a couple of good shops around Aalborg.
Will surely contact him! Thanks!

He is just about as close you can get to a uwphotoencyclopedia. He also holds very good uwphotoworkshops, with focus on using lighting in a non-traditional way. Very interesting. He also does pretty good GoPro workshops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom