Lightroom or Photoshop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KneeDeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all, just got into UW photography and looking for suggestions on 'editing' tools from RAW files. I'm not really looking at a price point of view, but more of a creative point of view.

What are your favorites. I do see a few Lightroom tutorials, but not sure if one would be limited in its abilities or could easily out grow it.

The proper answer is "both" as they are designed to work with eachother, not instead of eachother...

BOTH

They do different things.

Lightroom for cataloging, archives and basic editing.
Photoshop to do final touches and bigger jobs on single photos.

Also, to be honest there is one thing that is just as important as choosing between LR and PS and that is monitor calibration.
It does not help much if you tweak your pictures to look just right before you get them printed if what looks just right on your monitor is infact wrong..

Hello all, just got into UW photography and looking for suggestions on 'editing' tools from RAW files. I'm not really looking at a price point of view, but more of a creative point of view.

What are your favorites. I do see a few Lightroom tutorials, but not sure if one would be limited in its abilities or could easily out grow it.

I've been using PS Elements 9 for the past couple of years, and love the wide range of editing options that program provides. Allows me to do as little or as much as I want to do with a given picture.

I use Photoshop with actions. As mentioned before, Lightroom can do some very good editing but does not have the fire power of Photoshop. Cataloging should be done outside Photoshop but you can't beat the combination of Adobe Raw and PS for editing.

Lightroom was designed to be the first step you take in your digital photography workflow. You import, catalog and make "lightroom" (ooh, now howcome they named it photoshop lightroom?) adjustments in lightroom WITHOUT ACTUALLY CHANGING ANY FILES before you with the click of a button open anything you want EDITS to in photoshop..

My much more experienced dive buddies used to do all of their editing in photoshop, now probably do 99% in Lightroom.

I consider myself pretty newbie and have done all of my editing in Lightroom. Mostly minor color and exposure adjustments and some backscatter clean-up.

We use calibrated monitors as well.

Wow, thanks all for the fast and great replies. It's been a few years, but I do have some heavy experience with PS, but times do change. Like the idea of using them as a pairing. Any tutorials using both of them in combination, so I can use them BOTH to there best advantages?

But as stated above, in a nutshell. Use LR for categorizing the files/photo at first uses. Possibly with some minor editing, but producing the final 'product' with PS correct?

Thanks all, very informative.

100% of my photos go into lightroom for archiving, storage, rating.
Of those the good ones are adjusted and edited in lightroom.

Of those only maybe 5-10% go to photoshop if they need major corrections, like removing a diver or fish from a photo.

I use photoshop for other things. Like digital painting and photo manipulation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom