Any ideas on flooding insurance for a non-US resident/non-homeowner???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChristineAlbanese

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, I've been having trouble finding flooding insurance for my set-up. I live in Canada, I am not a home-owner nor an apartment leaser (so coverage under home insurance is a no-go and coverage with H2O through DAN is a no-go).

I've looked at DEPP insurance but the horror stories and and fraud incidences have sent me running away far and fast.

What are other people in my situation doing?! Is there an insurance company that will cover my kit?? I've tried googling this but with no luck... Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have all insured under Personal Articles policy with State Farm.

I had mine on a Personal Articles Policy (PAP) with State Farm as well. Then I made a claim, they paid it out, then canceled the policy. My agent said State Farm was trying to phase out the PAP because it was costing them so much in claims, I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I know that after making a claim I was ineligible for future coverage, so I left State Farm.

I will be watching this thread closely because I am interested in insurance that covers flood, accidents, etc, etc. I know DAN has an equipment insurance but it really expensive. Military or former military can get insurance through USAA, and it's super cheap.

Hi, I've been having trouble finding flooding insurance for my set-up. I live in Canada, I am not a home-owner nor an apartment leaser (so coverage under home insurance is a no-go and coverage with H2O through DAN is a no-go).

I've looked at DEPP insurance but the horror stories and and fraud incidences have sent me running away far and fast.

What are other people in my situation doing?! Is there an insurance company that will cover my kit?? I've tried googling this but with no luck... Any help would be appreciated.

Just use the same insurance you use to cover the rest of your possessions. If you do not have it, then consider it.

This is typically done in conjunction with home owner or tenant insurance. This assumes you do live at a fixed address and already have some form of insurance for the rest of your stuff.

I learned the hard way when I had a car stolen while in university. Most of my worldly possessions where in the trunk. Not covered by my car insurance....oops

If you try to get very specific insurance for only a few items (DEPP model) you will find it is so costly that you will just self insure. If you look for an general umbrella policy that will cover all your possessions, then the cost will likely be less for everything.

I have State Farm coverage on all my stuff... houses, cars, boat etc., as well as my camera gear. The policy is very clear however, that it does not cover flooding. I figure that worst case, if I flood the housing, I'm out the body and one lens. On a D7000, and my most expensive UW lens that might be $16-1700 or so. With a $1000 deductible, a claim wouldn't be worth it anyway, so I am really insuring against catastrophic loss through theft or similar.

As an aside, if you are using a housed DSLR, I highly recommend having a second body as a backup. Otherwise you run the risk of ending up with a $2500+ paperweight if you destroy the body and can't find a replacement to fit your recently rinsed housing. At the rate models change, any specific model's life expectancy is pretty short. In most cases, the body is one of the less expensive items in the system!

EDIT: I should be clear that by "flooding" I mean while diving. Oddly, if the camera is in my basement, and my basement floods, it is covered. Me thinks the actuaries must read these threads and are aware of the frequency of flooding.

I have read that most carriers now require a formal police report if a camera suddenly falls off of the back of a dive boat. Apparently this was happening with some regularity after most insurers dropped the flooding provision! I think you really are better off self-insuring for flooding. It isn't really rocket science, keeping a camera dry... Just remember Rule #1: O-rings first, beer second.

Hi Christine,

I'm very curious to hear what you organised. I'm an American living in France and previously insured my gear and cameras with DEPP. Now they're gone and I'm looking at options. DAN Europe doesn't seem to have any equipment insurance and I'm not finding another provider. Thanks!

I will be watching this thread closely because I am interested in insurance that covers flood, accidents, etc, etc. I know DAN has an equipment insurance but it really expensive. Military or former military can get insurance through USAA, and it's super cheap.

i'll have to look into the USAA insurance for the camera and gear -- geico was cheaper for the vehicles...

it is also avail for their children which is good :)

I switched from DEPP to DAN's policy. It does seem pretty expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom