How to copy right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to sell my photos at a festival here in my town. # 1 Do I really need photo shop to water mark my photo. # 2 does water marking legally make my photo copy righted or do I have to file a claim? Lastly since its digital not 35mm film how do I find my original photo... Few tips would be nice bc even though I don't think someone wants to steal my photo and mass produce them lol I want to protect them so how????

In Photoshop you should find a tab in FILTERS titled Digimarc. Hit that tab. You should see Embed Watermark, hit that and it should bring you to the Digimarc screen. This is a pay by the year service so you have to join. You will be assigned your own ID number and copyright your photos as this number is embedded in the saved Photo on Photoshop. Use this photo when you sell.

Your photos are instantly copyrighted at the moment you create them. It's as simple as that, but also more complicated than that. There is also a registration of a photograph but that is for a specific purpose and usually done only if you're going to go after someone legally for infringement.

Down load this and read it carefully Get ASMP Photographer's Guide to Copyright

Watermarks have nothing to do with copyrighting and are a way for people to discourage others from re-using a photo because there is a huge disgusting mark on the photo that declares somebodies ownership.

Digimarc registers the photo in your name with an assigned digital marker not a watermark. This marker identifies you as the owner. If someone uses your photo you can prove it is yours because it is registered. Just saying "That is mine" doesn't really work nowadays as you have to prove it. Sucks but true never the less.

Most newer cameras have menus where you can embed any information on your photos automatically. I have my name, the copyright year and email address on each photo I take. I've never sold photos and actually feel honored that others use my photos. As long as they are not selling them, I don't care.

I want to sell my photos at a festival here in my town. # 1 Do I really need photo shop to water mark my photo. # 2 does water marking legally make my photo copy righted or do I have to file a claim? Lastly since its digital not 35mm film how do I find my original photo... Few tips would be nice bc even though I don't think someone wants to steal my photo and mass produce them lol I want to protect them so how????

Even though it is said that the copyright of a photo belongs to you when it is taken,you will have to run behind laws like DMCA to take down images.And it applies only to the countries which honor these kind of laws. Digimarc is an invisible watermarking tool,ie:watermark is not shown,Many People view non watermarked images as non copyrighted.My point is that if you want to make sure that people know that your images are copyrighted use a visible watermark.You dont need Photoshop to do that im using this tool called Mass Watermark.It allows me to watermark,resize,add exif and export photos to picasa/flickr directly in bulk .Take a look here Photo Watermark Software to Watermark 100s of Images -Mass Watermark

Back
Top Bottom