Trying to go from "Recording Memories" to taking "Photographs"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickeyf413

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for some advice, tips, guidance, etc.

I've been diving since 1989 and interested in underwater photography since 1999. I'm not looking to become a professional but I'd like to apply their methodology so I can take photographs instead of just record memories.

So here's my question / dilemma how do I make photographs when I have to keep up with a dive guide / dive group with all level of divers and different dive interest and all on a time limit (I'm normally diving without a regular dive buddy while on vacation)? Let me know what you do or have done to overcome this obstacle to improve your photography

also I apologize if this topic has already been discussed if it has someone please point me to the thread

thanks in advance

:azvatar:

Drive by shooting. You have to have your camera set for the appropriate shot (you can set it as you approach the subject) compose in your viewfinder, snap your shot, check your replay and adjust settings if necessary. Get off as many shots as you can without losing the group, and have your camera ready when the DM points out a subject. It helps to avoid cattle boats. If you have only two or three divers per DM, you can spend more time and not have to fight for your picture or wait while your subject disappears. When I was in Bali, there was a teenager with a point and shoot who continually stuffed his camera between me and my subject while I was composing the shot. He got some great pictures and I got a lot of fish butts running away from him. I made a point of not being in his group.

I think there are two issues here. Photography_Growth_2_2.jpg The graph is from Steve Williams and I think it is right on. To move to the right you need a couple of things. One, you need the technical skill to be able to pull it off, a skill that I know is very difficult and that I mostly don't have but am working on it. Second you need the time/space to take the pics. First wherever you go find another photo/video person (I am lucky to have my wife shoot video) and tell the DM that you two will be going very very very very slow, and not to worry about you; you will be taking pics and will come up whenever the DM says. Try to avoid places that are mostly drift dives and try to find photo friendly operations.
To Larry: We were in St Vincent and my wife was patiently sitting on a jawfish with eggs and he was very skittish. One DM from the group swam over her head and put his camera right in front of her video while she was filming. I was too far away but if I were closer I would have taken his mask off his head. And he was the DM.

In any case, practice, take lots and lots of pics, look at tons of pics and take some classes, and have fun
Bill

Get really, really good with your equipment. The people I know who reliably create art can have everything set up and a photo taken in just a few seconds. I'm not nearly there yet!

Understand exactly what makes a memorable photograph. I studied the pictures of people I admired, like Kenneth Kopp and Scott Lundy, to see exactly what they had done that made their photographs special. If you know what you are trying to do, you can get set up and get the photo taken faster.

The bottom line is that, if you are one of those folks who really wants to spend the time shooting a single subject until you have it perfect, group dives aren't for you. Hire your own guide, or bring your own buddy, and keep your own schedule.

Dive with other photographers or dive solo. Merry and I were in a DM lead group on Cozumel two years ago. We were the only ones in the group with cameras. I was able to get four to six photos per dive. One dive I got zero, zilch, nada. Most of the time I was kicking hard to catch up with the group. In the Philippines last year we were with photographers and did nothing but shoot throughout each dive. At home I manage 30-100 photos per dive, depending on visibility. Some dives I get a little less, but I spend a few hours working on photos when I get home.

I love looking at others amazing photos and think Wow! Then I think "but I would have done this differently" and go out and try it. I have become a solo diver for my local diving and have the training, gear and experience to be comfortable with it. As others have said you need to find operations that cater to photographers or make arrangements for you and a photog buddy, you get what you pay for. In this age you need a great subject with an incredible background, and behavior that engages. That takes time and sometimes sitting in one spot for the majority of a dive.

The shift is also one of purpose. You have to go down with a goal of what you want to capture and execute. While not a great shot this one took half a dive to get. Had to find the critter, wait for it to move to the right spot, get the strobe snoot in the right position. For that one shot there where a dozen that got deleted.

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips I took notes and hope to practice them as soon this cold weather decides to turn to spring/summer. I hope to get some diving locally before I head to the Philippines end of April for a photo workshop. I'll reply back after that trip and with any luck and practice I'll have some photos to post and a good story to tell. Thanks again

Rickey---1st of all GEAUX TIGERS....next, get a camera & start shooting, hopefully you have some diving friends that will/can help you along...I started UW pics back in '95 when very few were 'in to it' & you had 36 tries @ getting maybe a couple
good ones' on a dive---now everyone it seems like carries something 'down there', esp a goPro!!!...With your years diving, I'd think it would be a fairly easy move to make.......When you start be sure & show us some of your results, I think you'll be surprised with the outcomes........

EDIT:.just read your last post, you'll absolutely LOVE the PI......let us know how it turns out...

Rickeyf413, you received great advise, how's it going for you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom