Mask with red lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It is well known that adding a red filter to the UW camera housing gives excellent results. Besides, there are several methods to restore red channel to UW pics taken without a red filter.
I was thinking if a scuba mask with red lenses will also improve red channel vivid while diving.

They do... SeaVisionUSA - actually Magenta seems to be the preferred color.

Capture.JPG

Dive Gear Express sells a competing technology called TruColor also.
TruColor Dive Masks - Dive Gear Express

It is well known that adding a red filter to the UW camera housing gives excellent results. Besides, there are several methods to restore red channel to UW pics taken without a red filter.
I was thinking if a scuba mask with red lenses will also improve red channel vivid while diving.

Common misconception. Red lenses don't "improve" the red channel. They block out the blue and green channels, so as to improve color balance in photography, where you can compensate for the effect of overall light loss by using a faster ISO or wider aperture. As far as restoring the red channel, you can't add information that isn't there to begin with, but there are tricks that you can use to improve a poorly balanced image with photoshop...

As far as wearing them in a mask, there is a reason why you almost never see one of these in use - no one wants to wear sunglasses underwater where you are already losing light. In the very shallow waters, it will just make everything look red. And in deeper waters, it will make things darker.

You can use a light if you want to see true colors on close subjects...

As far as wearing them in a mask, there is a reason why you almost never see one of these in use - no one wants to wear sunglasses underwater where you are already losing light. In the very shallow waters, it will just make everything look red. And in deeper waters, it will make things darker.

You can use a light if you want to see true colors on close subjects...

Not sure if I agree with your conclusion. My wife and I have been wearing Seavision Red lense masks for almost ten years. Of course, most of our diving is tropical, so light penetration into the water column is usually not an issue. Not sure I can recall everything looking red in shallow water, though.

Not sure if I agree with your conclusion. My wife and I have been wearing Seavision Red lense masks for almost ten years. Of course, most of our diving is tropical, so light penetration into the water column is usually not an issue. Not sure I can recall everything looking red in shallow water, though.

Well, if you like it that's good!

I guess it depends on what you mean by "shallow". I just meant that if things look red on the surface (which they do, right?), then if you are using it for snorkeling at depths where there isn't much absorption of the red end of the spectrum, then by blocking blue and green light you would by definition make things more red.

The only way these things can work from a physics point of view is if you are at the sweet spot where they absorb just enough of the "cooler" color temperatures to compensate for the loss of red light at that depth.

So if you are using them in moderate depths of clear water with lots of ambient light, you would get the best results (unless you turned on a flashlight, then things would look red again).

Well, if you like it that's good!

I guess it depends on what you mean by "shallow". I just meant that if things look red on the surface (which they do, right?), then if you are using it for snorkeling at depths where there isn't much absorption of the red end of the spectrum, then by blocking blue and green light you would by definition make things more red.

The only way these things can work from a physics point of view is if you are at the sweet spot where they absorb just enough of the "cooler" color temperatures to compensate for the loss of red light at that depth.

So if you are using them in moderate depths of clear water with lots of ambient light, you would get the best results (unless you turned on a flashlight, then things would look red again).

I guess I was using your definition of shallow: "In the very shallow waters, it will just make everything look red."

Having used a clear lense for the first 15 year or so of diving (for me), and then changing over to the Seavision red lense, it appears to me, in those environments I dive the most, that the colors are more true now, than before.

Is my brain playing tricks on me? If so, then I appreciate the color correction that is occurring. I do know that with my minimalistic camera, the colors and detail I remember are better than those recorded by the camera (no external flash).

I'll stand behind diving with the Seavision red lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom