Any tips you could give me on this photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Cwalina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a newbie but I thought this turned out ok. What do you think?
DSC06750.jpg

Nice picture... looks like you were pretty shallow.

Adam

What camera/lenses/lites & post editing did you use??.....

EDIT:...& agree with kr2 ie more near(close) subject matter gives a better outcome to a pic(lol, generally)...

Here's a link to kinda what I'm referring to-----& I realize this guy's shooting strobe(s) with WA lenses etc etc, but the principle's the same....
http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/close-focus-wide-angle-underwater

EDIT 2......agree also with shooting upward AND when you think you're close enuff, get CLOSER........Example, i'm probably no farther than 5 or 6 inches from the bow ring on this shot....
13500759753_b300fff8c8.jpg
[/URL]Tibbett's bow ring by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

and no more than a foot or so from this grouper..
7888008472_b8fe7968d7.jpg
[/URL]My dive buddy........CB 2011 by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Nice photo, maybe a little bit of something in the foreground would give it more depth?

Nice photo, maybe a little bit of something in the foreground would give it more depth?

Yup, agree with that. It's nice in that it shows the shallow depth by including the bottom and the surface, but no real subject to grab the viewer's interest. The fish are pretty small and hard to see. A good close focus/wide angle shot of the same site might have you filling the foreground with one subject, with the surface visible in the background. Hard to do, you need a cooperative subject!

A little post-processing to increase contrast would help. Software like Vivid-Pix does that easily.

Shoot upwards. Generally makes for a more interesting perspective.

This requires that you have your bouyancy nailed as you will often need to get uncomfortably close to the reef / bottom In order to get below your chosen subject.

A suggested "drill" is to take a series of shots of the same subject, each shot from a progressively lower position. This will allow you to see the difference in the same scene.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom