What camcorder ? Gopro ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschoolto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Never did filming or photo's underwater... I have a project that I need to do for the local water district... They need video of the drain pipe that runs from the dam face out to the low point of the impoundment... Diving will be about 45' depth and silty... Looking to find leaks " small " in the joints... I'll be using a dye to find and show flow rate.... Any help ???

Jim...

GoPro would be very cost efficient. For something like that (where you aren't making any sort of artistic video and don't need the highest quality) you could get an older model on eBay.

Depending on conditions (i.e. ambient light) you would probably want some sort of video light (color is lost at depth if you rely on ambient light). Again, you don't need anything fancy, since I assume that you will be fairly close to the pipe, but something with a wide angle would make it easier for filming.

A gopro2, 3, 3+ would all do the job easily with minimal knowledge past turning it on and pointing... a lcd backpack would verify live mid-dive that you are recording exactly what you expect.

You may also consider a dive buddy and a long tape measure as well as some way to mark the problems when you find them. You can buy waterproof paper and attach it with a nylon wire tie. Be careful as your are doing commercial diver work.

Thank you for the feedback..

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom