Photo Processing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gail Currie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What software does everyone use? Is there much difference between Lightroom 4 and Lightroom 5? Is it a case of buy the most up to date? What about Photoshop? What others are out there that people like and why? Price is a consideration for me.

Lightroom is much cheaper than Photoshop and there are a bunch of photo editors that are much cheaper (some infinitely cheaper) that can work. LR 5 is much better than 4 and 4 is better than 3 ...
Most serious folks that I know use LR for most of what they do. Download the free version and play and see if you like it.
What computer do you use?
The advantage of the most up to date LR is that it supports newer cameras; older versions not so much.

Bill

We use LR5. It is pretty amazing software for how inexpensive it is.

What software does everyone use? Is there much difference between Lightroom 4 and Lightroom 5? Is it a case of buy the most up to date? What about Photoshop? What others are out there that people like and why? Price is a consideration for me.

I used to process photos with LR4. It's a great piece of software and makes batch editing a breeze.
After getting advice from a photographer whom I appreciate very much, I started using Adobe Bridge combined with ACR (Adobe Camera Raw).
I use Photoshop anyway for graphic design, so Bridge is included in the package.
I was surprised to find out that ACR does everything LR does and once you get the hang of it, it's very easy to use and runs much faster than LR. That's the biggest difference for me.
When I used LR my PC was moving slower than your average nudibranch, but with Bridge it's a huge difference.

GIMP it is. No need to pay for software, and GIMP can do many of the things Photoshop can, albeit the controls are different. If you'd like to load RAW files, there is a freeware tool called UFRaw. You can load the RAWs, do some modifications, and save it as a jpg. Then you could do the remaining modifications, if needed, in GIMP.

just as important as the program you use is the adjustment of your screen. The screen need to be calibrated before you can expect the pics to come out right and most screens are NOT calibrated for photo editing out of the box..

Also look at plugin filters like Topaz Labs. They work with most photo editors, they are easy to use, powerful and they can be found on sale all the time. Get on the mailing lists and they will inform you of sales

I have an older Canon S90 and a newer Sealife DC1400. What software would you recommend?

P.S. I am not interested in updating my camera equipment just yet; I have a new job on a South Pacific Island and want to prefect my basic photography skills first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom