Nudibranchs standing up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MermaidLaura

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen photos of nudibranchs standing up... Sort of half on the coral and the other (front) half raised up against a dark background.

How come I have never seen nudis like this on any of my dives over the past 10 years?

Guess you just aren't lucky hmm :doh: Some of that is lighting but the posture is not terribly uncommon:idk:

I only see it in a few species, mostly aeolid nudibranchs. My assumption has been that they are upright to better sense potential prey, but that is just an educated guess.

Sometimes they are reaching for food. Other times the water movement can push them around and I work to get the shot at the right second.

RedondoBarge12_zps4656b5eb.jpg

Copy-of-Spanish-Shaw4-600x400.jpg

WhitePointPipe5_zps53e5e5c8.jpg

Here are a few from Friday on the Spectre at Anacapa.
Billuntitled shoot-5020225.jpg

untitled shoot-5020241.jpg

untitled shoot-5020227.jpg

lets dance.jpg

Enjoy, (click to enlarge)
Bill

Gorgeous! Amazing pictures! I'm always searching for the small stuff.

What kind of camera set up are you using?

Sometimes they are reaching for food. Other times the water movement can push them around and I work to get the shot at the right second.

RedondoBarge12_zps4656b5eb.jpg

Copy-of-Spanish-Shaw4-600x400.jpg

WhitePointPipe5_zps53e5e5c8.jpg
And it helps to be there at the right time! Better lucky than rich.

The longer you sit still and watch the creatures, the more you see and learn. On our last trip to Bonaire I saw a Cryptic Teardrop Crab reach out into space. I had no idea what it was doing. But I took a few shots anyway. It was on a Purple Tube Sponge and was reaching into space towards another Purple Tube sponge. Later examination of the photo revealed a shrimp on the other sponge. Was it hunting prey? I have no idea.

Cryptic Teardrop Crab | www.kengiffen.com

I've been told the rearing behavior is when they are "looking around" using their rhinophores for food or a friend.

Batu Merah (27).jpg

Jahir (22).jpg

And sometimes they are just climbing on something

Critter Hunt (30).jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom