First time shooting with a strobe what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antagonist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is my first time using a strobe for underwater photos with no experience besides practicing on the floor of my house and on my coffee table at different angles. After the first few shots I realized that two strobes are better than one. lol One thing will it be a good idea to may be have YS-01 on one side and YS-D1 on the other or should I use the same strobe.

My kit:
Sony RX100 MK2 (absolutely amazing!!!!!)
(1) Sea and Sea YS-01
Fantasea housing
Processed using Photoshop Lightroom 5 (took a class on photoshop, but barely remember)

As you can tell I cropped a few pictures. Anything use i could of done better. Position lights further back, I can see that they seem a little bright in some areas.

Thanks in advance

also I am religiously on Underwater Photography Guide I just want to hear other people opinions.

Ryan

Attachments

• DSC00759.jpg
    DSC00759.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC00777.jpg
    DSC00777.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC00768.jpg
    DSC00768.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00802.jpg
    DSC00802.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC00802-1.jpg
    DSC00802-1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC00832.jpg
    DSC00832.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC00852.jpg
    DSC00852.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC00868.jpg
    DSC00868.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00867.jpg
    DSC00867.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC00858.jpg
    DSC00858.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC00702.jpg
    DSC00702.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 192
First run? Good job!

One thing that I do when I have to crop an image a bit is keep the crop tool in Lightroom locked, which will keep the aspect set to "as shot." This ensures that I don't get weird sizes, unless I want them off for a specific reason (such as facebook cover photo etc).

Did you shoot them in TTL or manual?

The board software degrades images a bit when you upload, so putting the images on Flikr or similar keeps your image quality.

Another suggestion would be to shoot RAW files (if you aren't already), which will give you a lot more data to use in post to get the most of your images.

Very nice for your first run out! My only comment would be some of those shots could have benefited from having two strobes but you already knew that :)

I shot using manual mode because I dont understand TTL. Every time I would use TTL the pictures would be over exposed.

First run? Good job!

One thing that I do when I have to crop an image a bit is keep the crop tool in Lightroom locked, which will keep the aspect set to "as shot." This ensures that I don't get weird sizes, unless I want them off for a specific reason (such as facebook cover photo etc).

Did you shoot them in TTL or manual?

The board software degrades images a bit when you upload, so putting the images on Flikr or similar keeps your image quality. I will look into getting a flikr account also.

Thanks

Another suggestion would be to shoot RAW files (if you aren't already), which will give you a lot more data to use in post to get the most of your images.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 03:03 PM ----------

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124387105@N03/

This is the link to my photos on flickr

I shot using manual mode because I dont understand TTL. Every time I would use TTL the pictures would be over exposed.

Sea & Sea TTL does not work very well with Sony RX100, with Inon strobes at close range using the option TTL-Low results in perfectly exposed shots.
I had the same problem with Panasonic, probably the circuits on board sea and sea strobes are slower and the strobe doesn't react quick enough. I tried dimming all the way down to the point I was shooting the strobe in manual

Your shots are very good for a first time out.

I shoot manual. I check the histogram as I shoot.

Macro shooting is tricky. Strobe positioning varies with the circumstances. Also crustaceans are tough subjects requiring a good depth of field. Since crabs and the like don't have big eyes, it is hard to get fave shots that humans can relate to.

i would suggest getting lower and often closer. It isn't always possible.

First run? Good job!

The board software degrades images a bit when you upload, so putting the images on Flikr or similar keeps your image quality.

James, what did you mean by "board software"?
R

---------- Post added July 1st, 2014 at 05:44 AM ----------

Antagonist, you're doing a great job. Are you planning to post updates with the second strobe?

R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom