Tips for photographing in the cenotes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Got the opportunity to go on a trip to Mexico to dive in the Cenotes.
Any tips on photographing near the opening with the rays of sunlight coming in.
I would guess deep in the caverns where it is dark, it would be your usual U/W techniques (for rooms with stalactites etc)
Thanks for any suggestions

Using my Nikon DSLR & Tokina 10-17 - manual mode, always.

For sunrays at the entrance, I would probably start at 1/250 and F16, and ISO depending on available light .

Inside I would probably slow the shutter down some, and get closer, strobes behind the dome and pointed out.

Adjust as needed in both cases.

The settings mentioned by James R plus an option for you. You can try setting your ISO on auto and set your desired acceptable range (like 100-800) and let the camera choose within that range. This option is useful when shooting from one extreme to another.

~ Ronda

Hi RStyle,

Which cenotes did you dive and how did your photos turn out? I am headed there this weekend to see Taj Mahal and Chak Mool.
R

Last time I went, which was overcast and using my old camera with max ISO of 400 & f1.8 & WA wet lens, I wish I had a tripod with me. No matter how still you are, my slight drift caused many pictures to become blurry.

The first time I went, which was sunny, got some great pix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom