Difference between mini and large Dome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

I have an Aquatica setup and I use the mini dome for my WA shots (with a Tokina 10-17). Beside using a larger dome for split-shop, what could be the advantage of a bigger dome?

Bigger domes are more useful for wide angle rectilinear zoom lenses as diffraction in the corners is minimized.
Having said that a larger dome is usually better than a smaller dome for the same reasons above but with some fisheye lenses the difference is not noticeable

I have both and use the small dome for swimming with pelagic animals and close focus wide-angle shots. I use the large dome most often for everything else. It's lighter as it's not glass and the small one is. Depth of field is better in a large dome too.

the mini dome creates a virtual image closer to the focal plan than the large dome. That means when your object is closer, your lens have to focus even closer, which would reduce your depth of field. This would affect the image if your foreground subject is extremely close and you are shooting a fast lens wide open.

Back
Top Bottom