Underwater housings and cameras in the same Pelican case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnny sea ranger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got a pelican case. I was thinking of putting camera, uw housing, lights, spare batteries in the same case. Then I thought the items exposed to sea water will be rinsed in a boat bucket, but won't be COMPLETELY salt free if I put them back in the case on the dive boat. Later in the day, I would rinse the uw gear more carefully, and stow camera and uw housing back in the pelican, but there will be traces of salt in the foam around the uw housing and strobe cases. Does anyone have experience with this? Should the cameras always be stored and transported separate from the uw housings?

What I do is to leave my Pelican case at home or in the hotel room (when on the road) and put my assembled camera gear in a AO Cooler (36 can size - http://www.aocoolers.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=5&ParentCat=22)

It not only protects my camera setup when going to and from the boat and while on the boat, it's a great rinse tank afterwards. It sure beats lugging a heavy Pelican case that takes up a lot of boat real estate and it avoids having my camera bump up against the other cameras in the boat camera bucket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've never seen anyone do what you are proposing. Typically a case is used as a safe transportation device for getting your gear from your home to your destination protecting it from damage due to travel. Once at the destination the case typically remains in the room you're staying at and the camera is fully assembled and carried to the dive or put into something more temporary and never goes back into the case fully until the trip is over.

Does your camera fully assembled fit in the case or don't you have to disassemble a large portion of it like everyone else? If so doing all that disassemble/assembly to put it back in the case twice each day seems like a major PITA alone.

fisheater, I think Mike misread your post! The cooler is a good idea that I've seen used a lot. For example, on Bonaire people will go buy a styrofoam cooler and put the camea in the back of their truck, and fill it with sea water to carry it back home again to rinse it. The Pelican is for air travel only.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

---------- Post added August 7th, 2014 at 07:54 AM ----------

fisheater, I think Mike misread your post, maybe because the thread title is not what you meant? The cooler is a good idea that I've seen used a lot. For example, on Bonaire people will go buy a styrofoam cooler and put the camea in the back of their truck, and fill it with sea water to carry it back home again to rinse it. The Pelican is for air travel only.

fisheater, I think Mike misread your post! The cooler is a good idea that I've seen used a lot. For example, on Bonaire people will go buy a styrofoam cooler and put the camea in the back of their truck, and fill it with sea water to carry it back home again to rinse it. The Pelican is for air travel only.

---------- Post added August 7th, 2014 at 07:54 AM ----------

I think Mike is responding to johnny, not fisheater.

Anyway, I am not sure what OP's situation is where he will take his camera directly out of and back into the case. His scenario seems to only apply if he is going out on local boat dives, where he packs his gear away at the end of the boat trip, drive home and rinse the gears some more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom