Best way to secure a go pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SC_Guy911

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to scuba diving and I'm planning on diving the Bahamas in January. I have a Go Pro Hero3+ on a Sealife 1200 tray and I was wondering what people out there used to secure something like that to their BC. I was thinking some sort of retractable clip or something so I can drop it but not loose it if I have an issue. Any help you guys can provide will be most helpful

I put my GoPro Hero 3+ on a Sealife Aquapod extendable pole. It has a wrist strap. If I don't want to use the wrist strap, I hook the pole to a retractable clip and tuck it in my harness.

On my last camera, I used a sidemount bungee from Dive Rite. The quick link was attached to the camera permanently and the bolt snap went to a D-ring on my harness. I could drop it and let it hang if needed.

You could try a high-force retractor but with the tray it might be too heavy. Cetacea Retractors Get the locking one otherwise you'll be fighting the retractor all the time and it will show on your video. Any good shop usually has a Cetacea display - they sell all sorts of clips etc. also.

I hang a 9lb. u/w video housing off one of these - there's a wire thru the coil. It opens to about 3+ feet or if I drop it, closer to 5-6'. The way I have it clipped off high on my right side I can actually pull out against it for added camera stability also when it's clipped together.

Coil-Lanyard w/Brass Snap

Capture.JPG

Although I use the brass clip for my bcd and I replaced the loop on the other end with a quick link - there's a tight opening it fits thru where I drew the red line. It's stitched up closer to the name so you'd have to physically cut the loop for it to release. Pretty solid, I even walk in off shore dives with it hanging from my chest d-ring.

Acc-QL-2.jpg

You can get them at TDL - or at Home Depot. Quick Links : Tech Diving Limited, The Leading Source for Diving Equipment Home Depot has some plated ones - I've used the same one for about 4-5 years and it still opens easily. Since they screw down tight - only when you want it to.

I took off the mount and put a bolt snap directly onto the plastic housing. Then I put a beer coozie over it and clipped it off on my chest d-ring.

Purchase a tripod mount ($10.00), a 3/4" 1/4-20 screw and grab one of your split lens masks. Pull the skirt back from the backside / top of the mask. Take a 1/4" drill bit and drill from the backside and out of the front. Push the screw through and attach the tripod mount. Viola' Hands Free Video.Go Pro 1.jpgGo Pro 2.jpgGo Pro 3.jpg

I think there was a "close call" report of someone with the gopro mask setup. Please check that carefully.

Back
Top Bottom