TuesdayTips & Techniques from Cameras@Lembeh Photo Pro Sascha Janson #9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LembehR&Critters

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
On select Tuesdays, Cameras@Lembeh (the first and only Photo & Video Center in Lembeh Strait) will feature Tips and Techniques by Photo Pro Sascha Janson. Sascha will offer up a range of information, you never know what piece of wisdom he will impart.

Sascha says: Don't over-grease!

I've seen it quite a few times now, some photographers just use too much grease. There might be the myth that the grease is preventing water from entering the housing, but that's not the case - it's the o-ring! Yes, the o-ring stops the water from getting in the housing and the grease just helps the o-ring to stay smooth and flexible. The more grease you put on the o-ring, the more likely it is for things like tissue, fibers, sand, dust etc. to stick on, and cause a leak on the sealing surface of the o-ring! Use only a tiny amount of grease (use the grease recommended by the manufacturer) and pull the o-ring through your fingers to spread the grease evenly all over. That way you can also feel if there is any sand or damage on the o-ring. For cleaning the o-ring I normally use my T-shirt, but a tissue or microfiber cloth works just fine as well.

Stay tuned for more Tuesday Tips & Techniques or to view Sascha's past Tips & Techniques go to Photo Center - Lembeh Resort and Critters@Lembeh in North Sulawesi, Indonesia

Last edited:
Another tip: Don't use your T-shirt to clean your glasses after cleaning your O-rings! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom