Focus points for moving subject - DSLR WA setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Stop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did a few tests with my camera using my Tokina 10-17 on moving subject, such as Sea Lion and would like to know your comments about it. I set the focus mode on "C" (never auto) but not on a single point (9 or 21 instead). About you, what is your prefered way to do it?

Envoyé de mon SM-T310 en utilisant Tapatalk

One option is to switch the focus control from the shutter trigger to another button and use auto focus. Then focus in advance at your desired distance. If you are shooting the 10-17 with f8 or above, you do not have to focus too far from the dome to have the entire background in focus.
If a sea lion comes up really close, just flick the 'new' auto focus button and it is in focus. Then when they back off, you can re-focus again.

A concern is having the camera focus on a particle in the water when you are after the fast moving subject. Separating the focus control and shutter control helps eliminate this issue.

This approach is how this photo was taken. Sailfish can travel over 60 mph and the water was not all that clear so focusing on particulates was a concern.
http://www.shiningseastudio.com/Und...antas/28350767_WH3hFx#!i=2401424489&k=wBMMvGP

I agree with kcmayes1. Back-button focus (using the AE-L/AF-ON button) is a great way to utilize the flexibility in your system's autofocus functionality. Personally, I rarely leave auto-focus up to chance and use single-spot focus as opposed to group auto-focus. I prefer AF-S as well, especially when trying to focus in low light conditions.

Back
Top Bottom