Charging strobes, camera batteries in various different countries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RStyle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Not sure if this is the correct place for this question but if not, you could lead me to the right forum site

Aware that Ikelite Strobes may be plugged into 110-240 outlets with the right plug
McAir computer handles 110-240v

Going to Indonesia (from US). Live aboard. Trying to figure out the best way to charge multiple devices at the same time such as the 2 strobe batteries, camera battery, u/w lights batteries, computer etc. what would be the most efficient way
Converter to travel power strip? (most converters say to limit to 30min use)
Power stripthat handles 240 with appropriate plug and then converter on power strip for devices that do not handle110-240v?

Appreciate any my suggestions so I know what to buy
thanks for any help

Most OEM camera chargers I have seen can handle 110-240v (should be noted on the back), and yes Ikelite can handle 110-240v.

I would just purchase a power strip in the area you are traveling as they can be relatively in expensive, as for converters they can be a bit costly for a good stable one, at the same time converters are not light and will add to your checked luggage. I would also ask what type of outlets the boat has, on most boats in Asia I have seen Type A sockets with Type C sockets. I would suggest buying a travel adapter that way you are safe.

As for charging multiple devices charge your non 240 items with your converter and the others on another power strip or other plugs on the boat (there will quite a few around)

If you booked directly through the boat operator ask them if they have any converters on board for use, if you booked through an agent you can also try to ask them to find out (this can be a bit harder depending on the agent)

Carry a 240 power bar (so you have lots of outlets) and toss anything that does not handle dual voltage.

After a fairly recent (i am stupid) surprise when my power bar "sparked & died" on a trip to Jamaica, I bought a universal 220 power bar from a local 220 volt store here in Toronto.

All of our devices (since around 2000ish?) are dual voltage (but not my elcheapo power bar).

So do an inventory of your devices. How many are 110-220 compatible?

If all, then nothing to do (but maybe buy a 220 power bar?)

If some, then either toss them, or start to fart around with converters. We tossed our converter in the garbage about 5 years ago.

We take a bunch of these (Forza PS Series PS 001B Power Strip AC 120 220 V | eBay). They are only $13 and have been on more than 20 international trips. All you need is one adapter for the plug end and all US plugs will fit fine. I agree that if you have any devices that are not dual voltage then you should replace them. Also be aware that many liveaboards have voltage down converters from 220 to 110 V but none have 60 Hz all are still 50Hz which can affect certain 110 only devices.

Bill

Thank you for your responses.
I will go item by item to check their 110-220 compatibility
i know the
ikelite strobe charger is compatible and so is the Apple McAir
i have a Sola Light and several Wasabi and original chargers for Nikon and Sony camera batteries that I have to check

I always carry a surge protected powerboard wherever I travel as it is a great, inexpensive accessory. Many hotel rooms and liveaboard cabins have limited power outlets both here in Australia and overseas and a powerboard makes battery charging a lot easier. It also reduces the number of plug adapters required on an overseas trip.

Back
Top Bottom