Easy One-Button Scuba Photos with GoPro Hero4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlkcarlk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I've lately been using the video mode of a Hero4 to take snapshot-quality stills with no lights. I'm hoping others will find the method useful. Below are some samples from under 50 feet of green sea water near Seattle.

The trick is that the Hero4 is ISO 6400, but has no still-picture shutter control. Shooting video allows you to control the shutter. Other exploited features of the camera include QuikCapture (one button push to start video, one button push to stop), 2.7 (or 4K) resolution, Protune/Flat color, and free software to frame grab/color correct.

The details are below. (And because I'm a weight-belt and suspenders kind of guy, they are also one a web page Easy One-Button Scuba Photos with GoPro Hero4 and in a new YouTube video (below).

- Carl

SeaCuk_small.jpg

an4_small.jpg

YouTube:
[video=youtube;54bwE5N7G_c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54bwE5N7G_c[/video]

Details:

Background:
Last year, my wife and I learned to dive in the cold, green waters of the Seattle area. The life underwater amazed us and we wanted pictures. Full-on underwater photography -- especially in 40 or 50 feet of green water -- can require lights, batteries, and a big expensive camera in a bigger expensive case. It also requires steady handling and dexterity. As an alternative, this GoPro set up produces adequate pictures with much, much less hassle underwater.
One-Time Set Up:

• GoPro Hero4 Silver
  • Magenta Filter from Polar Pro
  • Floating Camera Handle
  • GoPro Anti-Fog Inserts
  • Turn on Hero4's "QuikCapture" feature and set for Video Mode
  • Set Protune, Color=Flat, Sharpness=Low, EV Comp=0
  • Set Resolution to 2.7K
  • Set Frames Per Second (fps) to 30 or 24
About Frames Per Second (fps): Choosing 24 fps instead of 30 fps will capture 20% more light, but at the cost of having to hold the camera steadier (because the shutter will be 20% longer). You might also choose 4K resolution and 15 fps. You'll capture twice as much light, but the shutter will open twice as long.
About resolution: Choose the biggest resolution that provides the fps that you want. (So, on the Hero4 Black edition, always use 4K)
Underwater:
You start with the camera off. When you want to take a picture, press the shutter button and the GoPro will start taking 2.7K video at 30 frames per second. Now, you just aim and try to hold the camera steady. (The shutter is 1/30th of a second). After a few seconds, press the shutter button again and the GoPro turns off.
After-Dive Processing:

• Install the free GoPro Studio software on your computer.
  • At the Convert Tab, convert the MP4 video files you shot into Cineform video files.
  • At the Edit Tab
    • Find a frame of interest
    • Set the White Balance to correct the color
    • Make any other adjustments you like
    • Use the menu (File, Export, Still Image) to save the frame as a JPG still image.

• David Newman (@David_Newman) of GoPro for sanity checking the suggested settings.
  • Nanci for being a great dive buddy.
  • Sparky for being a tolerant simulated

Last edited:
good info thnx

Back
Top Bottom