Photography/underwater photography tutorials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uticafats

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm just starting to get into UW photography and was hoping someone could suggest some good tutorials for basic photography and/or underwater photography, in particular, shooting in manual mode. My past experience is with basic point and shoot cameras. I'm looking for free video tutorials , books, etc. I have a canon G16 if that helps.
I've read a great deal on uwphotographyguide.com , which is fantastic, but was hoping for a more detailed and streamlined source of information. Any help would be appreciated.

There's no such thing as a free lunch- I haven't found anything free on the internet on what you're asking. My advice: Pony up for Martin Edge's book. You can get it 2nd hand on Amazon for about $20.

take a uw photo course. with the g16 i would suggest an ikelite housing / strobe so that the ttl feature can be used via the hot shoe. if interested either myself or 1 of my staff can do a photo course here in NY ..Scuba New York located in Yonkers.

More detailed??? :confused:

Ok, all kidding aside, I'm glad you've been going through the "guide", let me know where I can add some more detail and I'll see what I can do. :)

I also wrote a brief underwater shooting guide for the Canon G16 last year.

Scott Gietler

I'm just starting to get into UW photography and was hoping someone could suggest some good tutorials for basic photography and/or underwater photography, in particular, shooting in manual mode. My past experience is with basic point and shoot cameras. I'm looking for free video tutorials , books, etc. I have a canon G16 if that helps.
I've read a great deal on uwphotographyguide.com , which is fantastic, but was hoping for a more detailed and streamlined source of information. Any help would be appreciated.

There is alot to learn here in the Photo Forum is you take the time to meander through the forum. Oly5050 has alot of experience to share and he is local to you.
Also companies like BlueWater Photo (above), ReefPhoto, and Backscatter have tons of great info on their websites like blogs/articles...and they keep adding more.
These companies sometimes have seminars at some of the dive shows. Coming up in your area is Beneath the Sea, Secaucus NJ, in March. Beneath the Sea I noticed Cathy Church is giving a talk about underwater lighting.

I recommend you just spend time, even on land, playing with all the features of the camera so you instinctually change settings quickly as needed when it is in the housing.

And lastly, I recommend a good trip, propulsion, & buoyancy class/clinic or mentor. Good photos require you to be very still and be able to maintain that position long enough to not spook your subject. It is poor form to kneel, stand, hold any of the reef/bottom etc (even dangerous on a rusty wreck). And excessive fining just silts everything up for the next diver.
When I have a camera in hand, my most useful tool is a gentle back kick.

Just my 2psi.

Good luck and dive safe.

I've learned an unbelievable amount just by sifting through the forums. Take 35 minutes a day even and just read the new posts/old posts about anything. You may not fully understand everything at first, but as you keep reading things will start to make sense and piece themselves together. Plus you can take in personal experiences which is invaluable. This is with anything also, how I learned the guitar, video editing... and like I said. the biggest thing is reading the realizations of those who have been in the industry for a while. It's like taking a shortcut without missing the journey. You also get a glimpse of what's expected to come. It's a psychological fact that people sick in a hospital who know what their recovery will be like, recover almost twice as fast than those who arn't sure what will happen during their recovery. You can relate that to anything. If you know what you problems you'll be facing, technique tricks, anything, you'll be ready for it incase they happen. Fake it 'til you make it at the least.

I came back to add that you don't necessarily need books or anything other than the internet and a "want" to be a good photographer. Sure, you need to know how to work with the lighting, white balance and use the settings on your camera but you can learn these things from practice. Trial and error. It may take longer, but you have a fuller appreciation of the hobby. When I learned photoshop for example, I took one tutorial on youtube, and from there used it as many ways as I could. Not purposefully, I wanted to. I just kept trying different ways to approach it or taking many spins on it. Just playing with it. Now I'm extremely confident with photoshop. If I don't initially know how to achieve a result, I can tinker my way to the end goal. I know my way around it and how to use options I normally wouldn't have known if I just stuck to what tutorials taught me.

There's so much information out there, sometimes you'll have to look a little bit though.

Hopefully this helps a little and makes sense.

Have fun with it and stay safe

I also saw you bought a book. That's great, now play with all the information you read about. From the start, don't read to the end and THEN start applying it, apply it right away. Have your camera with you as you go through it. I don't mean to make this into an intense and serious matter, I laugh as I say that. It's just how I've learned so much in life, and it's all applicable to everything. And again, keep it fun and light. Also, nice camera :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom