shore diving with large camera rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUDMANOK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
on a recent trip to Cayman Brac we were shore diving and the waves were about 3-4 ft. I normally take my Canon DSLR in Ikelite case with dual strobes but due to the wave action and ironshore exits and entries I wasn't comfortable taking it because I couldn't figure out a technique for entry,exits to keep it from damage.

For those who routinely dive in bigger surf conditions what technique do you use? or do you even bother trying to take your camera rig with you?

I am assuming you are diving with a buddy. One way is to get them out and just beyond the breaker zone. Then you take out your camera rig and let them watch it. I have found that a rig will sit on the bottom and just sit there. Then I go back and get my gear.

I would recommend using 1/4" line and two larger bolt snaps (like used on stage bottles) and attach them to each ball mount. Then you can carry the camera like a stage and keep it out of the way. I've also attached a smaller bolt snap to the neoprene dome cover so I can stow it away in my drysuit pocket when it's not being used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom