Just getting back into underwater still photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I didn't realize that I accidently posted this in the classifieds section but am reposting it here hoping for some help.

I have a few questions. I own a Nikon D7100 which I love to use. With the demise of film, I switched to underwater video several years ago. I still have my entire Nikonos system including the large fisheye wide angle. Is there any kind of market for this old stuff?

My second question is about housings for my newer camera. There appears to be 4 different companies making housings for it: Ikelite, Sea & Sea, Nauticam and Aquatica. Since being out of the underwater still market for 10 years, can anyone educate me in the relative advantages/disadvantages of each besides costs? Who makes the best all-around housing with the best reliability?

Lastly, I use Light & Motion lights for my video. I also still have my Nikonos SB-103 from my old set-up. Can the SB-103 be used with any of the current cameras/housings? Same question for the Solas.

Thanks!​

Welcome to 2015!

The correct answer is YES and NO.

I suggest you dedicate a lazy afternoon to reading through a whole pile of threads here to catch up a bit.

Things to be aware of:
- "digital" strobes (well not really digital, just strobes that can handle the new pre-flash world) HINT: SB-103 is not "digital" ready
- optical sync cords (wired sync cords have been declared dead but apparently refuse to die gracefully)
- optical sync cords means some/many/most strobes now have an optical "slave" mode (no wired sync capability)
- polycarb versus aluminum housings (religion war)
- nikonos? what's that? please check ebay. i see prices from $35 to $3,500 for the same gear.
- manual mode is still manual mode, nothing has changed.

If you are price sensitive, then you may want to consider "starting over" and purchase a scuba specific camera with an affordable housing. One size does not fit all. I took that route and actively use 4 different cameras and have invested much less than many people who insist on having only 1 camera. My primary scuba camera (Canon G16) is only used underwater. Above water I use 3 other cameras, all fixed lens.

One thing you should know about the SB-103 is that it got recalled by Nikon back in the 1990's or early 2000's. There's some issue with it where gasses build up inside the flash and it can explode. Nikon was replacing every SB-103 with a new SB-105. Not sure they are still doing this, I got mine replaced a little over a year ago. You can call Nikon in New Jersey and see if they still have SB-105 units, I think they're shipped from Japan.

Your Nikonos lenses (especially that beautiful 15mm) can be used with an adapter made by Nauticam with either the Sony NEX series of cameras or the Sony A7 series of cameras. You would need the camera, the Nauticam housing, and the Nauticam adapter. On the NEX cameras there is a multiplying factor (like 1.5 or such), but with the Sony A7 cameras the 15mm remains a 15mm.

Last edited:
Hi;

The others have it pretty well correct. The Sony A7, and soon to be A7II, do a very nice job with the Nikonos 15mmFE.

I have a review and photos here from it and the Nauticam housing system.
https://www.opticaloceansales.com/mirrorless-in-mexico-nauticam-na-a7-sony-a7-review.html

The SB-103 is toast, I don't think they are exchanging them for an SB-105 anymore and the SB-105 doesn't work well with the new cameras anyway as you have no control over it.

The Solas will work fine, and the A7II is an incredible video camera. I have a video made with the A7 on the above review as well. You may want to sell your other video camera, as this new model shoots in 4K! You do need an external Shogun recorder/monitor to do that.

We have a bunch of packages for the A7, but I would wait and buy the new A7II, the Nauticam housing will be out very soon.

If that all is too expensive, we have lots of other options. See: https://www.opticaloceansales.com/underwater-photo-camera-housing-system-packages/

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom