Buying first camera and need some help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ren0784

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I want to buy a camera and have been looking at mainly an intova Edge X and GoPro 3. I am not to familiar with any type of underwater cameras, so I may be a bit naive choosing the right camera and accessories. So help would be much appreciated. Thank you!!!

You might want to check out the web sites for Backscatter, Bluewater Photo and Video and Reef Photo and Video. These are three major vendors of underwater photography equipment in the U.S. Their sites have information on pricing and buying guides. It is a good place to start.

ren,

For easy snapshot-quality photos, I love the GoPro Hero4. With no lights and with only one button to push underwater, I'm super happy with it. The trade off is that you need to set it up correctly and you need to use a computer after your dive. (Details here Easy One-Button Scuba Photos with GoPro Hero4.)

Below are three pictures from last month in 45' of green Seattle water and two from January in blue Mexican water.

- Carl

Attachments

• 11130333_10153012753069093_5220866057692375405_o.jpg
    11130333_10153012753069093_5220866057692375405_o.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 11136082_10153012752929093_5990359789429101827_o.jpg
    11136082_10153012752929093_5990359789429101827_o.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 11149653_10153012752619093_214689144702683352_o.jpg
    11149653_10153012752619093_214689144702683352_o.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 107
  • cavern.jpg
    cavern.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Turtle.jpg
    Turtle.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 103
I highly Highly HIGHLY recomend Optical Ocean. Give them a call and talk about what you want from a system, how and where you dive and what you want long term. I bought a tg-3 with sea and sea strobe and love it. Just back from Bonaire and loved the set up. They even suggested it over more expensive options (so its not just to make a sale but to make a customer) . I had looked at go pros and sealife both have serious drawbacks and limitations. Jmho

Are you mainly planning to shoot video? Because that's what both your choices do well. Stills not so much.

A GoPro can't even fire a flash. And both are extremely wide angle, fixed-focus, non-zoom "action" cameras".

Since you posted in photography, there are better options. Most cost more but may have future upgradeability with optional lenses/ports, external flash etc.

Jack at Optical Ocean helped my buddy once with lens/filter selection, I overheard the conversation. And I've dealt with Ryan at Reef Photo on several occasions - both would get my recommendation also. I don't have any still camera recommendations as I shoot video.

GoPro's suck for still photography. Everyone I know has one and frequently they send me images asking my what's wrong with them. I try to be a little more polite, but the reality is they suck for photography, and especially in the water. Great for topside videography...

Take the advice in the posts above, but I suggest you have a budget in mind when you call, as well as a top figure that you won't pass. This hobby can cost a ton of money, so it's important to understand your budget and balance that against your expectations. The corollary of this is that a good camera won't take good pictures in the hands of a bad photographer... They'll just be more pixels. I know people with $20000.00 systems that can't seem to get both ends of fish in the frame.

If you want to take "serious" photos, then you need to spend a few bucks on gear. I would think at least $3-4000.00 with all of the bells and whistles... that should get a decent p&s camera, a housing, a strobe and some attachments. That should get you a decent starter system. If your budget is $500, then set your standards accordingly, and have fun with it.

Photography is a bit like sex. As long as you think you're good at it, and you're having fun, who really cares what anyone else thinks! ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-uTXjep0QE

Here's a nice video comparing go pro and Intova footage side by side. I have the Intova Edge and use a red lens filter with it. I don't currently use a light (occasionally my flashlight) but I find the red lens filter makes a world of difference. I pretty much just do video as the video quality is better than the still frame quality. Plus it's just less hassle. I have my camera on a stick and when I see something cool I just hit record and point it in the right direction. I'm not so blindly focused on the screen that I miss everything going on around me. Plus with the stick I can get the camera into the little hidey holes that others can't reach. I just uploaded a video I shot with it in Little Cayman to YouTube. Once they approve it I'll post the link here so you can see. In the interest of full disclosure my camera did have problems and froze up on the trip but I've already contacted their customer service (which you can actually talk right here on scuba board) and I'm in the process of having it replaced.

You guys made me blush.. we do try ;-)

And the Olympus TG-4 with RAW and Underwater HDR is right around the corner...

Jack

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom