how do you get the fish out of the way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubbachicken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi all
just looking back through the pictures i took on my trip to the maldives, i'm more than a little disapointed in how my pictures came out, i took just under 500, i guess most are down to my lack of experience in under water photography, and perhaps my camera might have something to do with it
but how do you get the fish out of the way, i was really hoping this would have come out OK, it was towards the end of my trip, i'd spent a lot of time talking with other diver with camera's, about how to get a decent picture, spent a while looking and waiting for the shrimp to be brave enough to come out for a picture, snap, ahah i thought, a picture of a shrimp
damnfish2181.jpg

well not quite

i have called this one damn fish

guess i'll just have to go back, sounds like a good reason to me

Well, count this one up to shutter lag (probably). The only way around that is DSLR....a whole 'nother level of investment. Not sure you are asking for critiques but it looks overexposed in the foreground and the strobe placment seems a bit off. What kind of camera were you using and do you know the exif data?

I agree with Swims. Your strobe is aimed at the bottome of the pic upward. For marco shots I place the strobe above the lens to the left or right just a smidge. Your strobe was either too close or you need to lower the power if you can.

What kind of strobe/camera do you use?

As for the damn fish, there's nothing you can do to reveal the shrimp. At least not until photoshop developes an xray feature!

I adjusted it a bit with Curves in PS7 but the bottom is still blown out.

hi there
and thanks, this was taken with a sony p5, 3.3 mp camera in a sony housing, no strobe, perhaps i should look into a difuser of some kind, i'd like to have a strobe, but baggage weight traveling will not allow it, dragging my all my gear then a video camera and sea and sea housing for that around leaves me with no weight allowance for clothes almost, it's a shame airlines are so stingy with their weight limits, it seems that if i carried golf clubs, i could carry them and my luggage, but as it's scuba gear it's part of my luggage, saying that i've just come back from the maldives and the airline gave me an extra 10 kg's weight allowance, as i contacted them before i left and told them i'd have to spend my time there naked, and that it might very well spoil other holiday makers, vacations
as it turned out, i spent more than half my vacation in my wetsuit 3 dives a day and snorkeling in between dives

thought I might help with your original question "how to get the fish out of the way" It's actually not a silly question, btw!

First, tell me...how many total shots of this shrimp did you take? Even crappy ones that you threw away if any...

LOL...maybe we should start packing our dive gear in golf bags!

alcina:
thought I might help with your original question "how to get the fish out of the way" It's actually not a silly question, btw!

First, tell me...how many total shots of this shrimp did you take? Even crappy ones that you threw away if any...
hi there
only took 2 of that one, there were too many othe people wanting to get a look, some were inpatient, i'd waited for ages for the little fella to come out for a picture, i got two shots then someone else came in closer and he went away an no one else got to see him

golf bags

i had a laugh while i was there, there was another british guy on the island he'd actualy got his golf clubs with him, i have no idea why, perhaps it was just because he could bring them
if you saw how small the island was
when i was there, there was 76 guests staying on the island, and only 30 0f them were divers, god knows what the rest were there for
http://www.helengeli.com/
this is where i was, any idea's why someone would need golf clubs there
he had booked the island for his vacation so he must have known a little about it, but he spent his whole vacation complaining that there was no where to bash is golf balls around, would have liked to have fed him to the sharks

I didn't remember taking a photo of a Flying Fish !

Turned out to be a Parrot Fish in front of a Sea Fan .

You can turn the flash down (in power) on the P5 (I have one). The Low setting is best for macro subjects anything higher will overexpose.

In the last year or so, I have started to set the exposure down (-2ev) and the flash power up (med). The results have been better with more colors and range and the coreect exposure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom