divelight as improvised lighting source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i know that the best would be an external strobe but how would a dive light fare as an external source of light? im not talking about hids but your regular ordinary 2aa flashlights spot lighting my macro subjects?

Spoon:
i know that the best would be an external strobe but how would a dive light fare as an external source of light? im not talking about hids but your regular ordinary 2aa flashlights spot lighting my macro subjects?

Really, really badly. The HID's aren't all that great either. You would be shocked by exactly how much intense light a strobe creates in a very small time period.

M

Marriard:
Really, really badly. The HID's aren't all that great either. You would be shocked by exactly how much intense light a strobe creates in a very small time period.

M

im just grasping the concepts of taking uw photos so i wanted to start at the bottom of the ladder:) im having a hard time juggling funds for equipment and additional diver courses. i guess by next year il be able to invest in a decent strobe. better get my lenses first though..

if you use your light you will get a "sweet spot" as the light is not spread evenly (more light towards the middle - less to the outer edges).

justleesa:
if you use your light you will get a "sweet spot" as the light is not spread evenly (more light towards the middle - less to the outer edges).

You can sove the hot spot (sweet spot) problem, sort of, by lining the reflector thing with crumpled aluminum foil. Just crickle up a piece then smooth it out almost flat, leave a few wrinkles. This disperses the intense light in the middle that causes the hot spot.

Not a permanent fix to your lighting delima but it helps.

Here's a picture I took at night. I was following the fish with my flashlight through the photo. You can see the beam of my flashlight on the fish. As you may be able to tell from the photo, a flashlight will give very non uniform lighting even for the macros you're talking about.

If you can't afford a strobe right off, don't worry about it. Start taking photos in shallow water using what light is available. Practice silloetes, diver portraits, etc. In general, remember to get below your subjects and you'll find you can get some great shots with natural light.

The internal flash with a diffuser would be better until you can get an external strobe. I too am saving pennies for a strobe. I tried using my flashlight for awhile but besides it being kinda difficult to aim the light and the camera it just can't light up the full frame. Internal flash on the other hand can get very good results from 1' or less.

Monkey Knife-fight:
The internal flash with a diffuser would be better until you can get an external strobe. I too am saving pennies for a strobe. I tried using my flashlight for awhile but besides it being kinda difficult to aim the light and the camera it just can't light up the full frame. Internal flash on the other hand can get very good results from 1' or less.

ok, il have to make do for now.

Well, dive lights aren't as bad as some here make them out to be. I would agree a 2aa lightsource will not be sufficient but I met a diveguide in Indonesia that used a hartenberger with a 20w halogen bulb as his only light source, and his photos were smoothly lit and amazingly backscatter free straight out of the camera. He difused t first by turning it down to it's lowest setting which I believe was 25% of full power, and then he placed a finger over the center of the beam.
Another way to difuse light would be to make a difuser out of plastic milk carton material to place on the end of the light and spread the beam.

I know you're saving pennies, in which case a hartenberger isn't going to save a single cent but.....it can be done.

This is the lamp he was using:
http://www.hartenberger.de/english/e_hartenberger.html?smallhandlamp/001.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom