Sony DCS-P200 Ikelite Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Drysuiting it.... in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just ordered the Ikelite housing for my Sony P200. Does this housing take lens filters? and if so should I put one on(UV or clear) to protect the exterior lens on the housing, I don't want to scratch it up if I accidently drag it on something.

I just want to snap a few pictures, nothing professional or the like.

A lens cover would be very desirable for land or while the camera is being handed to you in the water. Otherwise a filter is just two more surfaces to get dirt on or a bubble trapped under. I tried the underwater compensation filter for the Sony housing and the P-10 camera, but didn't like it at all. Exposure was increased by nearly two stops and everything was an odd orange. It was much harder to correct for in PhotoShop than the blue/green of sea water. The fluorescent light, white balance setting can help get back a little of your lost reds underwater. The internal flash will be good for only the closest subjects and the lens ring looks like it will cast a shadow in close macro work. A small external flash will really help.

Ikelite lists the following lens adapter:

Optional adapters: #9306.80 allows attaching and removing the Inon UWL-105AD bayonet style lenses underwater. #9306.81 allows attaching and removing the 67mm threads of the UWL-100 conversion lenses from Epoque and Inon underwater.

A wide angle conversion lens will really help this camera. I got one for my P-10 and worked so much better.

I think I'll most likley invest in the strobe first, and skip the filters. I'll add the wide angle lens to my x-mas wish list. :D I can't wait to start clicking away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom