Protecting image from editing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sinja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am very new to Photoshop, and not familar with all commands. I created an image in Photoshop [7.0, if it matters] that has both graphics and text. I merged all of the layers, so that now I only have a single background layer. I want to be sure that no one can go in and un-merge the layers, and modify the text. Have I done that by merging the layers, or is there another command I need to apply? I want this to be a read only file. Thanks for your help!

Once you've merged (or flattened the layers and then saved it as a jpeg, no one can "un-merge" it. If it's a .psd (Photoshop native format) I think there's a way to unmerge it later. But no one posts .psd files anywhere, just jpegs and tiffs for printing.

However anyone can save your image and then overwrite your text with their own. This is harder if the background is visible between the letters, but not impossible. If you do a Save For Web at 72pixels resolution - all a computer monitor displays anyway - no one will be able to make any kind of quality print if that's your concern.

No matter what any of the photo-protect websites tell you, there's no way to keep people from copying your images since every PC has a printscreen button, that will save the contents of the screen into the clipboard which can then be pasted into Photoshop.

my .02

Steve, thanks a million for the input!

Sinja: It is hard to add to Steve's excellent post. PSD files will preserve layers so save in psd if you want to go back and work on your image. Jpegs do not preserve layers and are essentially flattened images.

If your concern is copyright, there are some threads in the forum that discuss digital watermarks like the digimarc.

---Bob

One thing, though: don't submit your work in full res. If they want that, they gotta pay. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom