night dive photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kensuguro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
well, I've tried it a couple of times.. first time it was a twilight dive and so I could get some video. (with my oly 5060wz) It's strange for some reason it's easier to tell what's going on with video than stills.. Then, second dive was totally dark.. still, I could get some video with the light from flashlight. The video was all pixelated and rough, but atleast I could tell what was going on.

Both cases, I relied mostly on video. all photos came out too dark or the flash showed too much silt.. How do you guys work past this? Or should I just wait 'till summer again when I get better visibility?

One answer is to get a very good aiming light. That way your camera will be able to focus properly.

The biggest problem you will have is backscatter with the onboard flash. The second biggest (perhaps these aren't in order!) is that you are going to be restricted in your settings as you won't have any ambient light to play with really.

An external strobe will help with this both during the day and night.

I had issues with night photography too, until I bought a can light. Now I just adjust the beam and get great shots. No backscatter. It's like I'm taking shots during the day. It's a little pricey, but isn't everything in underwater photography???

Back
Top Bottom