"Through the Surface" shots, any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Yesterday, I was playing around with trying to get something interesting from just under the surface. I always love how people look on the boat as we ascend...I would love to shoot the Hawaiian outriggers my daughter has been paddling, as they dip the paddles....I know, I need a helmet with a diver flagpole! Anyway, does anyone have any experience shooting like this? I notice it involves some breath holding because the bubbles flood the housing. I am taking the breath at about four feet....I am aware and being careful. I may even switch to weights/snorkel technique.

I agree, you're doing just fine!

As an extra tip, I "wipe" the dome with a free hand (preferabally one with no rings on the fingers...!) pretty much before every shot which has the housing above my head, to get rid of the little "clingy bubbles". You can see these in both of the shots you posted.

All the best, James

If you are specifically taking these shots, put a polarizer on the lens which will allow you to go deeper and not have to worry as much about glare off the water.

Of course you need a housed system (and a polarizer) for this, and the sun has to be in a reasonable position out of the shot but it really makes for some nice shots and some fun experimentation.

M

Marriard:
Of course you need a housed system (and a polarizer) for this, and the sun has to be in a reasonable position out of the shot but it really makes for some nice shots and some fun experimentation.

Not neccesarily. You could get a cheap cokin polarized, and as long as you get it right up next to the camera lens, it "should" work. something you could also experiment with.

Justin, what is cokin?

i'm not a photographer, but a friend a week or so ago was working on those 'half in & half out' kind of shots by using a pool noodle curved under his camera in a big 'u'. i have no idea if everyone does this, or nobody, or what, but thought i'd throw it out there.

BabyDuck:
i'm not a photographer, but a friend a week or so ago was working on those 'half in & half out' kind of shots by using a pool noodle curved under his camera in a big 'u'. i have no idea if everyone does this, or nobody, or what, but thought i'd throw it out there.

Interesting! Split images, they are called i think....So maybe the noodle was to help stabilize the camera? That may be a good tip because I want to shoot some water polo at my daughter's school. Thank-you babyduck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom