U/W photography - best mask and fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arenny

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering what fins/mask setup is being used the most by UW photographers. Thanks for your input!
:D

nothing beats split fins in my humble opinion! As for the mask - try to find one that gives u periferal.

Actually, for photo shoots and all my other dives, I don't like clear mask skirts or wide view.

I use a Oceanic shadow mask, which is a low profile that focuses your attention forward.

miesemer:
Prescription black skirt mask for focus and no glare or shadows. I use Sea-Vision 2100 and Mares x-vision.

Non-split fins for precise positioning control. I use Mares Quattro and Mares X3.

I ditto that! I have the same mask and same fins (with spring heels)

arenny:
I was wondering what fins/mask setup is being used the most by UW photographers. Thanks for your input!
:D

The best mask is going to be the one that fits! However I'd look for a black skirt, and I like the big eye style for increased field of vision. I use the Mares XVision.

For fins, it's another personal choice. I have Apollo Biofins. I tried some Mares Quattros, and they are now on ebay. I just did not like them all that much, and I bought them big to go with rock boots, but ended up getting smaller boots.. So now I have two sets of Apollo Bio-Fins depending on if I dive wet or dry.

I REALLY like the BioFins. :D

i can't comment on the mask as i am currently lookong for one myself

fins.... i love my jets easy to kick and easy to stay put.....no i am not dir and i don't have drysuit either
just like the jets:D

I wouldn't say that there's a best mask or fins for underwater photography, but rather there are common features to good masks and fins that u/w photogs use.
Low volume mask that's easy to clear and has good visibility.

I use a Cressi big eyes mask, great visibility, easy to clear.

As for fins, to be honest I don't think it really matters.
Whatever you're comfortable with and can maneuver well with is fine :).

I agree - black skirt, very comfy fit and low profile. "best" will be individual taste.

I used to use mares quattros and loved them but they are too much for where I do most of my diving now. Usually no to moderate current. I use full foot Oceanic V6 splits and love them. There isn't anywhere I can't into and out of without kicking stuff up so my guess is it's practice.

Again, go for fit and go for fins that suit the environment you will be diving in most. You may find that you need two sets if you dive in quite different places routinely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom