2 strobes vs. strobe & light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buccaneer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i am relatively new to underwater photography. I currently have a ikon, awith an external strobe. I was wanting to do some upgrading. i am looking at getting a wide angle lens, and either another strobe OR a light?

What seems to be the better/ pro or cons to runnning 2 strobes OR one strobe with a light?

If it were me, I'd opt for a 2nd strobe. Interesting thought on the video light, though. The light might help with autofocus, but depending on the angle of coverage, it may or may not help with AF. Some issues I would think with the light would be a difference in the colour temperatures of the two light sources, as well as different runtimes. I would think the light would run out of power first as presumably it would always be on.

If you are diving in bad vis a lot, and having AF problems, a good focus light might be important. A 2nd strobe won't do you much good if you can't lock on focus. But OTH, if you dive clear water and/or use MF, you will seldom need a focus light. A small flashlight will work.

As to a 2nd strobe, what kind of WAL are you getting? Which strobe are you using now - i.e. what kind of coverage does it give you? Although I dive with dual strobes, I think of them as a luxury and not really necessary for most shots.

HTH

Tortuga Roja:
If you are diving in bad vis a lot, and having AF problems, a good focus light might be important. A 2nd strobe won't do you much good if you can't lock on focus. But OTH, if you dive clear water and/or use MF, you will seldom need a focus light. A small flashlight will work.

As to a 2nd strobe, what kind of WAL are you getting? Which strobe are you using now - i.e. what kind of coverage does it give you? Although I dive with dual strobes, I think of them as a luxury and not really necessary for most shots.

HTH

You make some good points. most of my photos are in less than great viz. Here in the PAcific NW, it can get pretty dark. I am not using an expensive set up at all. Yes, I have had some auto-focus isses. My set up is very basic. I use a Nikon 4100 coolpix in a Fatasea housing, with an external strobe that they offer. They sell these prepackaged specials that have larger tray for accomodating two adjustable arms.
All the packages come with one strobe, and one light. Nothing with two strobes (of course you can get any of the items seperately) I was a little surpised none of the packages had two strobes, so I thought maybe that was a better way to go. I really haven't had any flash issues, and have been happy with the pictures. Sometimes I get a shadow , because of the one sided strobe, but nothing too big of a deal. My biggest issue, is alot of times I can't get back far enough for the pic i want, without getting alot of backscatter- hence the idea for the wide angle lens. the lens I am looking at, is designed to attach to my housing.

Keep in mind I know nothing about Fantasea gear, but it sounds like you've answered your own question. If you are having AF problems due to poor light or vis, a light may be what you are looking for (cheaper too yes?). Unless you are getting a wetmate WAL with a dome, one strobe will suffice for most pix.

A little shadow gives an image depth.

Getting a WAL so you can get closer to a subject is the best reason there is.
eyebrow

Not sure how wide the strobe covers but remember to aim it so you are only lighting the foreground. It won't lite the BG anyway but it will light the BS in between.

In general video lights are not all that effective for still photography exposure. if used with a camera in full auto the camera may select a wide aperture, high ASA, or slow shutter speed. shots I have seen done with light tend to have a lot of motion blurr.

Strobes produce a very intense flash for a very short duration which freezes the movement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom