Need Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
New to underwater photography so need some help in handling lighting. If I Use my 10W HID focusable light and flood light the picture subject do I also need to use a strobe?

Smehow missed the Strobe/Focus Light post when this was put up. Guess although the HID is brighter the principle is the same.

I am new to U/W photography.
I tried my HID in the pool with my new Ikelite housing & camera last march.
l have a 12° (wide) 10 watt HID lamp and the beam was too narrow for normal shots.
But it might be ok for macro shots. Here;s my test shot in the pool.
It just a 7 inch diameter drain that's been tiled over, but it shows the beam spread.
Camera was on auto exposure, flash did not fire.

Mike D

ArcticDiver:
New to underwater photography so need some help in handling lighting. If I Use my 10W HID focusable light and flood light the picture subject do I also need to use a strobe?

Good Info. Thanks.

Mine is a focusable DiveRite10W. Don't know the exact degree spread when the beam is at its' widest. But I think it is wider than what your picture shows. When in the spotlight position I think it is about 10-12 degrees, about the same as the one you used.

I'll be doing mainly macro so I should be alright.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom