Disposible Underwater Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDCB

Reaction score
Okay here it goes. I like to take mediocre (sp?) land photos (see my profile shots) with my cheap digital camera. I like to e-mail them to friends in distant places. I would like to try some UW shots but can't afford a UW camera. I saw these and wondered if any of my SB bretheren have tested these.

http://www.cameras101.com/Disposable_underwater_cameras.html

Carl

I have not used one, but years ago someone I knew showed me underwater photos taken with the blue Kodak camera. I thought they were really cool, for a disposable, at the time. But I don't believe they went anywhere over 20 feet - and it must have been a vacation spot as the water was clear. I can't imagine a dispoable's flash doing much in the perpetual green of the Atlantic 'round here - and I bet there isn't a macro setting on them either (so hopefully they really did put a powerful flash on them). But I'm gonna test one out one of these days.

Mambo Dave:
I have not used one, but years ago someone I knew showed me underwater photos taken with the blue Kodak camera. I thought they were really cool, for a disposable, at the time. But I don't belive they went anywhere over 20 feet - and it must have been a vacation spot as the water was clear. I can't imagine a dispoable's flash doing much in the perpetual green of the Atlantic 'round here. But I'm gonna test one out one of these days.

Once they are on a disk, with software....just wait until you are addicted. In the meantime. www.wetpixel.com

I have used these cameras in the past before I got my current setup. They are not bad when used in shallow sunny conditions, but do not work well in anything else.

The other problem that I had was that the pictures would come out with a heavy blue tint and washed out color. However, this may have been the problem with the development of the film.

Lastly, the button on the camera would periodically freeze at depths below 25ft, so that I would miss pictures.

I think these cameras were actually designed for snorklers. They do work if sporadically, but you will get what you pay for.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
MM1 :14:

Get one and give it a try! They are cheap so you don't have much to lose. The pictures won't be like some that you see on this board but they will be your pictures. Most of your topside buddies will be impressed with them. I have seen one of the blue Kodak cameras at well over 70ft and it survived. If you flood it send it in for processing anyway. The pictures may be salvagable.
Good luck,

Joe

Look a little harder. Most dive shops carry a yellow camera that you can re-load with film. They run about $30. I used mine down to 80ft. Results were not too bad as long as the subject is close. I shot three rolls in mine.

Good stuff, thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom