How fast is a flash? (~1ms?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took a series of pics tonight varying only the shutter speed (aperture, ISO, and subject constant). The pics were pretty comparable at shutter speeds from 1/1000 s all the way up to 1.3 s. The pic made at 1/1600 s was noticably darker. I surmise that this means that the flash emits light for something more than 1/1600 s but no more than 1/1000 s. Does this sound reasonable?

And is this duration pretty similar from one flash to another?

dlwalke:
I took a series of pics tonight varying only the shutter speed (aperture, ISO, and subject constant). The pics were pretty comparable at shutter speeds from 1/1000 s all the way up to 1.3 s. The pic made at 1/1600 s was noticably darker. I surmise that this means that the flash emits light for something more than 1/1600 s but no more than 1/1000 s. Does this sound reasonable?

And is this duration pretty similar from one flash to another?
There is also the sync speed of the camera to consider. The flash duration is not the only issue. The amount of flash while the shutter is open is the issue.

One millisecond sounds reasonable for slow flashes.
Automatic flashes can be pretty fast when there is plenty of light. I have seen specifications for 1/30,000 s on some flashes.

A photo repair shop would have access to gear to measure flash duration.

Being a cheapskate, I would take some pictures of a fast rotating object and figure it out from there.

Back
Top Bottom