DEEP-rated Camera Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I originally posted this in the Tech forum, but got no replies. If any of the Mods see this, please feel free to delete the other thread - thanks!

DEEP-rated camera housing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear all,

Some friends of mine are planning a National Geographic-covered Trimix deep dive to a Philippine wreck (I believe WWII), Topside is at 110m, bottom at 150m. Whilst this is to be filmed by NG, there is a lot of interest in obtaining an SLR / digital housing capable of withstanding the pressure.

All suggestions would be very welcome. Loans, purchases etc. As a result of the coverage, recognition to any assisting party can probably be arranged in the credits.

Personally this is quite a way out of my league and experience, so I'm unable to help myself. By putting it out to the wider SB audience, I'm hoping that someone out there might have had similar experience and/or might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks for your time,

I'm surprised the guys in the NGS photo shop can't provide something, they have an excellent reputation.

Not sure about the other brands, but Aquatica is good for 300' out of the box. Call Blake about your particular depth range.

Generally the only thing they do for deeper dives is replace the springs on the buttons with stiffer ones.

I'd be more worried about the depth tolerance of the strobes. Not sure about the DS125, but my Ike SubStrobe 400's have been to 220' without issue.

All the best, James

Larry,

Try the folks at Gates. If you explain what you are doing, they will probably help you out.

The folks at Light & Motion are very helpful as well.

My Aquatic is as fdog says. NGS has their own shop that handles custom work for cameras and housings. Gather that they have done work with Aquatica. I'd get in touch with them and have them foot the bill.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. For the record, I just reviewed my original post, not quite accurate. The divers are in fact friends of a colleague of mine who was invited to join them.

The result is that getting in touch with them is not as immediate as it would be. I'll chase them up with your comments over the next couple of days and be in touch.

Thanks again,

Larry

I would also say Aquatica. Gates and Light and Motion are mostly video housing manufacturers...not DSLR

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom