Combining different strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divv

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all.
A newbie to this board.
Up to now I have been diving with a Canon S70, and a Sea&Sea YS25 Auto (slave) strobe.
I recently sprung for a Nikon D200 and will be getting an Ikelite housing as soon as they are available.
My question is: I would really like to get some use out of my old Sea&Sea strobe, I know it won't work on TTL, I also know it would need another strobe to trigger it since the D200's internal flash won't be able to pop up in the housing, but has any one had any joy with this sort of setup, ie getting say a DS125, and using the YS as a slave/fill-in?
Obviously the DS125 is going to be a LOT more powerful. I was also wondering if I could get the Sea&Sea arm to fit onto the Ikelite grip, any comments on this?
I asked another photographer friend and he said "start by comparing the flash guide numbers", which at this early point in my education doesn't help all that much!
So hoping some of you guys and girls can!
Thanks
Di.

Talk to Ryan at Reef Photo and Video. He's on the board here so maybe he'll see this. But I recently talked to him about this as I just ordered an Ike housing and 8" dome port from him for my 20D. I have a Reefmaster digital strobe I used with my P&S. I'm going to get a Ike DS 125 as well and use the Reefmaster as a slave strobe in manual mode. Ryan said he can fit the strobe onto an Ike arm so maybe he can do the same for yours. No, it won't be as powerful and the recycle time is terrible compared to the Ike. But I'll be able to use it as a fill light or by poping it off the arm and using it creatively. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom