Camera cases, and luggage advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArmoredDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm new to the big boy DSLR game and recently purchased a used Canon and Ikelite housing from a friend. I went on a trip a few weeks ago and used a large pelican style briefcase (interior dimensions 22"x16"x6.5")to haul it all in. This worked fine for what I have now, but I'm looking to buy a pair of strobes, and additional lens and ports. The current case doesn’t exactly have room to grow in.

I've looked at other pelican cases, such as the 1620 which has wheels and larger capacity, but that raises another problem...weight. The 1620 weighs 22 lbs itself and if we're tied to 50 lb package max now I'm worried that I won't fit all my intended gear in it and stay under 50lbs. I've seen a few other brands like Storm Safe, Seahorse and I may save a few ounces here and there depending on manufacturer, but nothing dramatic.

I've also seen soft sided cases from companies like Akona. These weigh much less and seem to have a good deal of space, but I'm a little worried about checking several thousand dollars worth of gear in a soft side case.

I'm worried primarily about weight, size and durability. Does anyone have a good suggestion?

There are a number of threads on this subject. Do a search here and on wetpixel.com for info.

Most folks split their gear up between carry on and checked luggage. Personally I carry on all the delicate stuff, i.e. camera bodies, lenses, ports and the high value stuff like the housing. My housing is Aquatica (aluminum) so I'm not worried about damage, just theft if checked. The rest of the photo gear goes into my dive bag which is checked. My dive gear and bag is about 37#, 5# for clothes and the rest for misc. camera stuff.

Use clothing for padding in your carry on as well. I use a Pelican 1510 (maybe 1610?) which is the largest legal wheelld carry on for most airlines. Plus I carry a backpack with a compartment for lenses, bodies, etc. Plus I always carry on my reg & mask.

It's a challenge, but I can get everything into one 50# checked bag plus two carry ons. You can always rent fins and BC to lighten the load a little for more clothes.

I have an extensive check list with weights of everything for both photo and dive gear. It's worth the time to insure that nothing is left behind.

I was on a liveaboard recently where a diver left his macro port home. Big time bummer!!.

I also use a Pelican 1510, holds my Sea&Sea housing, macro port, small dome, two 110 strobes, ULCS arms, spare cables, log book and a few T-shirts to pad things a bit. My cameras and lenses as well as my laptop all pack into my LowePro backpack. Everything else goes into the hold.

On my recent business trip to Jeddah, I packed a smaller LowePro backpack with the camera in the housing and strobes.

Only issues I face in this region is the scanning of the housing, I always have to open my carry on gear at security, so I plan for this time wise.

I used to lug Pelican cases, and then a Porter Case, but they are not practical, in my opinion, if you're carrying a lot of camera gear on flights. Here in Asia it is not unusual to have your carry-on weighed to check compliance with the 7-kilo limit. My housing, camera, lenses, most ports, and miscellaneous small items go in my Cosmolite carry-on, which is very light. The large glass dome port and the strobes go into checked luggage, wrapped in neoprene or clothing. They do fine there; they are not particularly delicate, even the glass dome.

I used to do all that has been mentioned as well, but still my camera gear was over the limit. What I do, since you are allowed a personal item (camera, laptop, purse, etc) in addition to your carryon, is to hand carry the housing with camera in it as my "personal item". I put my camera strap around the housing handles, put the largest lens and dome port on the housing and carry that on in addition to my regular carryon. This saves me 18 lbs right there (that neither counts for checked or carryon luggage), and after having done this for probably 50+ flights in the last few years, I have never had a problem.

Last edited:
I used to lug Pelican cases, and then a Porter Case, but they are not practical, in my opinion, if you're carrying a lot of camera gear on flights. Here in Asia it is not unusual to have your carry-on weighed to check compliance with the 7-kilo limit. My housing, camera, lenses, most ports, and miscellaneous small items go in my Cosmolite carry-on, which is very light. The large glass dome port and the strobes go into checked luggage, wrapped in neoprene or clothing. They do fine there; they are not particularly delicate, even the glass dome.

What does the airline do if you're over the 7 kg limit?

What does the airline do if you're over the 7 kg limit?
In my experience, if it is Qantas they insist that you check the bag; if it is SingaporeAir, and you are close, and you are extremely charming :wink:, they let you carry it on with a stern warning. As a matter of policy on SingaporeAir, they do as Qantas does: check the bag, and if it puts you over your checked baggage limit, charge you for the extra weight.

I used to do all that has been mentioned as well, but still my camera gear was over the limit. What I do, since you are allowed a personal item (camera, laptop, purse, etc) in addition to your carryon, is to hand carry the housing with camera in it as my "personal item". I put my camera strap around the housing handles, put the largest lens and dome port on the housing and carry that on in addition to my regular carryon. This saves me 18 lbs right there (that neither counts for checked or carryon luggage), and after having done this for probably 50+ flights in the last few years, I have never had a problem.

I do a similar thing...there is no way I am checking my camera and housing. We have several backpack's designed for camera's... and I just configure one for my gear. If I have to, the laptop goes in a sort of small portfolio with a handle carrier. Oh, and then I let my wife carry it, she seems to never get checked...they just ask her if it is under 7 kg... me they weigh. And the two times she did get checked, she told them it was her personal stuff, and they just let it go (?).

Get a good quality canvas Domke bag, with the dividers. I used to use one of these long ago. In fact, I still have a large blue one in my attic if anyone is interested. If you are carrying this stuff with you, then you are handling it. Unless it falls out of the overhead compartment, you will be fine with this. Rarely does this happen. I would pack your clothing in your pelican case, and leave it with the undercarriage luggage. When you get to your resort, pack your gear in the Pelican and take it to the boat. NEVER LEAVE YOUR GEAR IN THE HANDS OF FLIGHT ATTENDANTS AND AIRPORT PERSONNEL! The Domke bag will save you gobs of weight and still provide ample protection. Make sure your strobes have covers on the lights (if applicable). If you can carry spare bulbs, be sure to do this. Sometimes, the pressure change in flight can cause weakly sealed bulbs to pop. (Again, this too is rare, but can happen). It is better to be safe, then get to the resort, have one strobe, and uneven lighting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom