Getting in without killing your camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mooseman1007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Probably a stupid question, but one that has me contemplating. Ive got ~30 dives with camera under my belt (a Fuji F100 in OEM housing) and the majority of those dives were either shoredives or off a RIB, so getting the camera in was easy (either held close to chest and back roll, or handed in). I was in Egypt last year and did a few dives holding the camera close for the giant stride entry, not ideal but was ok with a small camera, anyways Ive just bought a strobe and as you can imagine thats increased the bulk of my camera, and am back off to Egypt in a week for a 10 days of day boat diving. Whats the easiest way of getting in with the camera when the boats busy or theres current, and its not easy to have the camera handed to you? Ideas guys ?
Moose

Probably a stupid question, but one that has me contemplating. Ive got ~30 dives with camera under my belt (a Fuji F100 in OEM housing) and the majority of those dives were either shoredives or off a RIB, so getting the camera in was easy (either held close to chest and back roll, or handed in). I was in Egypt last year and did a few dives holding the camera close for the giant stride entry, not ideal but was ok with a small camera, anyways Ive just bought a strobe and as you can imagine thats increased the bulk of my camera, and am back off to Egypt in a week for a 10 days of day boat diving. Whats the easiest way of getting in with the camera when the boats busy or theres current, and its not easy to have the camera handed to you? Ideas guys ?
Moose
Not a stupid question at all, though I have found the handoff to be manageable in all the conditions I dive in. But I have back-rolled in with with my housing and strobes tucked into my gut with no problems. Another idea, which I haven't tried, is to attach a meter or two of line to the housing, lower it in, and then enter yourself, while holding the tether in your hand, away from your body.

Cheers Vlad, the guys over at wet pixel also suggested the lanyard option so will give that a go. Just a little concerned about the extra bulk of the rig now compared to what I was used to especially as its giant stride off a day boat entry ! Either way got some fun trying to figure out the new strobe....Its such hard work..... :)

I would recommend practicing all the methods. When you travel, you never know what conditions or boat design you whill have to work with. If you can do it, the hand-off from the boat is your safest method.

Boats I have been on have you make your entry then lowers the camera to you in the water. You may have to bring your own lanyard but I'm sure you could have one of the crew do this for you in Egypt.

I just jump in with mine but it's a POS to take "pretty pichers" to show non divers I'm not completely crazy. Sometimes it works.

Bob
---------------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape

I always go with having the camera housing handed over to me from the boat.

I used to be extremely gentle with my camera and entries, but as time goes on I have gotten more and more casual. Now I just clip it on and giant stride in.

It will probably come back to bite me one day, but no damage so far.

Where you can't do anything but a giant stride with the camera in hand I find that holding it above my head works. By the time the camera gets to the water you have slowed down enough so that it is a gentle entry. I would only do this when it was not possible to have the camera handed down. Really have only had to do it a couple of times - high current larger dive boat - but it does work.

I ALWAYS have my rig handed in or down to me by a deckhand, and then hand it right back out at the end of the dive. For this, the deckhand usually enjoys a nice tip at the end of the day or week :) Everybody's happy, including the camera, housing, strobes, and dome :)

Some of our local photogs use bungee cord about 10' long connected to the boat. They lower the camera into the water before gearing up, then unclip the camera and go for their dive. When returning to the boat, clip the camera off, doff gear and climb back on board, then recover camera. It is common for us to have 3-4 tag lines overboard to keep gear close. I build my tag lines out of 1" webbing sewn with loops onto the ends, around stainless steel bolt snaps. There is bungee cord tied into the middle to give it some spring action.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom