Photo Editing Software??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

al248005

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just recently purchased a Sealife 1200 (first camera). As far as the photo editing software you can use post dive to enhance the color of the pics, does anyone have any suggestions as to what program is good? I looked at Adobe Photoshop Elements. Does anyone have any experience with it. Can you adjust the white balance in it?

I will third lightroom to start the process. You should be diligent though in always starting the downloading process through lightroom, then moving on to whatever other software you think you may need, if any. In other words, always import through lightroom, using the cataloging and back-up tools provided there. I soooo wish I had lightroom 12 years ago.

There are several approaches you might take here depending on your level of computer literacy and what type of computer you have. Almost any photo editing software will let you adjust the color balance of your pics. Since the 1200 doesn't shoot raw, you will be shooting in JPEG. At the free end of the world Picasa and Gimp are available. GIMP is a free software that will let you do most of what you can do in photoshop but not very simple to use. Picasa is extremely simple to use but not as powerful as some other software. At the next level are editor/library software. These include Aperture for the Mac and Lightroom for Macs/Windows. These two are probably used by most UW photographers that I know. Next up is Photoshop in either the elements or full CS5 version. Photoshop is aimed more at graphic arts types than simply photographers but you can do almost anything with it.

For your purposes, download the trial versions of the SW and play. See which one fits your style (I am a big fan of LR) and then get it. If you are a student or know a student then the Adobe products can be gotten relatively inexpensively. PS Elements is also very inexpensive and for many people it does all they need. Play around and see what you like.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom