Photos/Video Settings Underwater? Help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankrom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Guys,

In October I am off to Cozumel (very excited)... I have purchased a Canon G12 with a Canon housing, I am very impressed with this camera.

However, I am wondering two things...

1) Should the camera be in a specific mode? There is an underwater mode on the camera and I think it would be logical to use the 'underwater mode when underwater. However, I want to make sure... As I do not know much about underwater photography or video. I here there is something to do with the lighting or white balancing? I tried researching it on google but when I google it it just continues to come up with Canon G12 reviews.
2) Do I need a strobe for the best pictures? Will I get good photos and video without a strobe? Strobes aren't cheap!

Feedback would be greatly appreicated!

Thanks guys!:D

I would strongly recommend shooting in raw mode. You will be much happier. You will need a strobe to get (IMHO) pictures that you will be happy with. Yes, strobes aren't cheap but on a per picture basis (or on a ratio of keepers/duds basis) they are cheap indeed. Yes you can use the built in camera strobe or shoot natural light but a strobe will make your life way more better.
Bill

Hi, I am no expert but I have found with my G7 that using manual white balance is WAY more effective than the preset for underwater shots.
I have the only G series camera that does NOT support RAW so I have to get as much right when I take the shot as possible as I have fewer post processing options because of that. Do remember that just a couple of metres difference in depth can mean you need to re-white balance, especially in the first 10m from the surface.
It also helps to know how to use the manual function if you want to shoot video, otherwise your footage will have the blue hue to it noone wants!
I would practice changing the settings firstly out of the housing and then in housing before your trip, when you are there you want to enjoy it not spend the trip as a classroom session on the cameras finer points!
have fun!

Auto modes, including UW just do not work under water, if you want good shots you have to learn to use manual. The internal flash is worse than useless except in very close shots, less than a foot. A good strobe is pretty much manditory (and not a AF-35) for any shot more than a foot or so away. Without a strobe or using the internal flash, you will need to learn to manually balance the white balance. RAW is OK but for the beginner (or me) IMO it is not worth the hassle. You need photo editing software (ie Photoshop) to process the photos and it takes a lot more time to do, plus it eats up a hug amount of card space and slows the camera a lot. Much better IMO is to get the shots correct to start with.

If your profile is correct and you have less than 25 dives, I strongly encourage you to not take the camera for at least the first 3 or 4 dives. You will have enough task loading just diving in a new enviroment, the last thing you need is a camera taking up 90% of your attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom