CFWA with an 8" dome?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Nygren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will soon be purchasing my first DLSR set up, I booked a trip to tiger beach in the Bahamas and plan on taking some wide angle shots. I have a canon T2i, tokina 10-17mm, and will be getting an aquatica housing. Will CFWA be an option on future dives with the 8" dome, or will the results/attempt be frustrating? I would appreciate anyone's experience and input.

IMO you need a 4 or 5 inch dome for good CFWA or WAM. For your set up I think the Zen 4inch is available. Go to Wetpixel website and read Alex Mustards review of small domes. He has comparison photos between the larger domes and small domes and gives pro's and con's for both.

I have had decent results using the Nauticam 8.5"dome and a 10.5 fisheye. Not sure with the 10-17. Just try it. Not like your wasting film. Just get really, really close to the subject. I have noticed some fish see themselves (or just another fish) in the dome and come right too it.

Doubler, curious why you feel a 8" dome would be "frustrating"? I get small domes when shooting CFWA of nudibranch and the like. But for anything beyond that I don't see the issue. I started with a 8" dome and now shoot a 9.5" dome with the Tokina 10-17mm on a D7000/Aquatica set up. If shooting sharks or reefscapes you have strobes on "longer" arms so you are not trying to push your rig into tight spaces (should never risk brushing the reef anyways) so what would the issue be? Plus the flexibility of a 8" vs. a 4" for standard WA or Over/unders is a plus in my book. Again just wondering.

Something I consider CFWA: http://www.flickr.com/photos/30757629@N03/5586507447/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Last edited:
MJH,
Where are you coming from. I never wrote the word "frustrating" anywhere in my post. I told the OP to read an article by an expert, the article was on domes pros and cons. Still IMO for CFWA and WAM a 4 inch dome is better. Splits are a different subject, larger domes are the only thing to use for over/unders.

Woops my bad, frustrating came from the original post. But given their original post, sharks, new set up I think a 8" dome is the best all-around choice. If there is budget for it a smaller dome is a great addition.

IMO the only limit to a small dome is shooting splits so I would get the 4 inch first. But that is just me, I can see MJH's opinion also.

Back
Top Bottom