Need advice and tips on Pelican Cases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rzxrey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi. Im debating on getting either the P1510 or the P1600. The thing that I like about the P1510 are the rollers and BP option. The P1600 on the other hand has lots more space. I haven't seen one in real life so I have no sense of its size. Thinking of fitting it with an ikelite housing, 2 strobes, arm set, 8" dome, lens port, cables. Any other casings you might suggest? Thanks

The 1510 meets the USA carry-on size requirements. The 1600 probably does not and you'll have to check it. I always carry-on my 1510, but it weights about 14# empty, so it's about 35# fully loaded with housings, domes, ext. rings, cables, etc. I use tee shirts, etc. as padding. My lenses and camera bodies go in a padded backpack.

There are lots of threads on packing for airlines.

yes, depends on the gear you wish to take.
a 1510 is carry on size, i don't have one, so im not sure i could get all my gear on it, but its nice to have things safely in your sight.

I u se 1600, 1610 or 1620.

I use a regular back pack for my camera, lenses and computer and carry that on.
i check in either just my 1600, or a 1600 AND a 1610 or 20.
the 1600 fits my ikelite D90 housing, port, and two DS50 strobes. The other case carries my dive gear and everything else i need.

When walking thru the airport i strap my 1600 to my 1610 or 1620 and just roll that around. To me its a hassle to roll a case in both hands, so thats why i don't take both my roller cases.
So figure out how much gear you need to take, and what actually needs to be in a hard case.

We used to get 2 free check ins with international flights, now we only get one.
I think i could stuff everything in my big 1620, but the extra weight fee is more than simply paying for another bag to be checked in.
also the 1610 and 1620 are heavy empty with foam. so if you don't need the hard case, maybe its better to use a regular suit case for some of your gear.
I have strapped a 1600 to a regular roller samsonite suitcase no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom