Looking for general feedback Canon S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clipgoal234

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,
Looking for some general feedback. I am shooting with a Canon s95 in a Canon housing. I plan on upgrading as money allows and would like to eventually jump to a DSLR, but would like some feedback on my technique for now. Anything is appreciated, especially constructive negativity. These are some of the newest pictures (below). I'm heading to Hawaii (Big Island and Oahu) in November, and want to be as proficient as I can be.
Thanks!
Clip

dscantli's photosets on Flickr

Nice stuff.

Think real hard about the DSLR. I've got a s90 and a 20d and 60d dslr. I would rather have the s90 with me most of the time. The dslr kit is just too big and heavy.
The new micro 4/3rds stuff is nice because it gives you lens flexibility of the dslr in a smaller package. Of course you can't change lenses underwater.

Photography is really more about light than sensors. If you don't have lights get those before you get a different camera. Otherwise you'll end up with the same photos at maybe a little higher resolution. If realistically most of your photos go on the web then the higher resolution is mostly just a waste of disk space.

I went through a long process of moving up in cameras (my wife had a medium format at one point) then buying L lenses, then lugging all that crap around on trips. Now I would rather have a compact and powerful photo kit and carry my scuba stuff with me too.

Do you use a flash, either internal or strobe(s)? I think external strobes would make a huge difference in your photos, more than the upgrade to DSLR. A lot of your photos could use the extra lighting. I wouldn't get a DSLR until I was proficient with my strobes, as the DSLR housing will likely cost as much or more than a couple of good strobes.

You have some pretty good shots, where you get pretty close, like the eel shots.

Search some Canon Powershot S95 diving photos on Flickr or anywhere (e.g., Underwater Photography for S95 and S90 ). Look at the better photographers. This is one of the best point-and-shoot cameras, and you will be able to take professional-looking photos, if you add in a couple of strobes and a little post-processing. Maybe eventually some lenses.

Check out wetpixel.com for more tips in their forum. They're dedicated to underwater photography. Also check out this site Underwater Photography Guide . You'd probably want to shoot in RAW too for more post-processing options.

Don't freak out but the strobe set-up will be just as expensive (if not more) than the camera + housing.

YS-01 from Sea and Sea + tray and arm set is around US$600-650 mark for example.

The strobe can be used later if you do end up getting another camera. I'm still wistfully dreaming about strobes- until then it's 20' down and 1' away.....

I can't agree more, get strobes. Strobes are a night and day difference for underwater photography. I am currently borrowing 2 Inon Z-240s from a friend, until later this month when I will get my own. I have not used the S&S line so I can say much about them, just the Inons. The Inons are fantastic and will grow with me, once I decide to make the next leap.

strobes...and strobes again. Inon, S&S...both work really well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom